Point Layout Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Point Layout Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Point Layout topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Custom Data

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
TonyHolsinger
1187 Views, 11 Replies

Item Custom Data

When creating points on Autodesk Fabrication hangers, is it possible to have item custom data field information as the point description and not the item filename?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
s.hamel
in reply to: TonyHolsinger

I will assume you mean on the AutoCAD side and not Revit,

Yes you can. On the Point Layout ribbon or menu, go to settings, and switch to the AutoCAD tab. Near the bottom you will see a CADmep specific area, and a field that says Custom Data. Type in the name of the custom data field to be used in there and it will be pulled into the description.

Thanks,
Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Manager, Principal Software Engineering
Message 3 of 12
TonyHolsinger
in reply to: s.hamel

I have tried that, and it doesn't seem to be working....I noticed there is no check box next to the custom data text box. Perhaps that is why it isn't making that option active?

Message 4 of 12
s.hamel

I am guessing that you are using the Automated points, Hangers Existing tab? If so you are correct that it will not work as you are hoping. If you set the point type to Sleeve, it will use them, but also attempt to add the sleeve sizing as well, which may have some unexpected results in the description.

The other place it will make use of the custom data fields is with the Selection points routine. Preselect the hangers you want to mark, then trigger the Selection points and choose Nodes and then Top. You should get the custom fields + the regular description (+optionally itemnumber and/or service).

I could look at adding the custom fields ability to Automated->Hangers Existing for Pipe/Duct hangers as well, just not sure of an elegant way to offer custom files OR regular description, or combined. Check if the selection function covers your needs and let me know.

Thanks,
Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Message 5 of 12
TonyHolsinger

This Semi works, not sure why but it won't take all of the information from the custom data field. For example the custom data I have written for a sleeve is " EL-SL-07 (1' Long) Dia=10" ". The file name of the same sleeve is "Floor Sleeve" and the diameter is 10". By default the description should report out as " Floor Sleeve [ 10 ] " but when i try and add the custom data the description is being reported as  "EL-SL-07 (1' Long Floor Sleeve [ 10 ]"...Is there a character limit?

Message 6 of 12
s.hamel

Don't believe I have any character limits related to that. Can you send me a link to download a dwg with a couple of those sleeves in them? If so, I will take a look.
Thanks,
Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Message 7 of 12
TonyHolsinger

Seems like the hangers are having the same issues. Take a look at the attached .DWG, you will see a "Sokkia Description" custom data field. Currently, as a work around I made a script that creates these descriptions, and writes it to the ITM filename (to be able to export them as the point description) and to the "Sokkia Description" custom data field. Ideally I would like to only have to write to the custom data field and be able to have that as the description and leave the file name alone.

Message 8 of 12
s.hamel

Unfortunately I am not seeing any custom fields/data on these hangers:

CustData.PNG

thanks,

Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Message 9 of 12
TonyHolsinger

They are embedded in the Fabrication properties. You may not be able to see them in the Clevis hangers as the items tabs doesn't show you the custom data, but they are there. Check the Item properties of a uni-strut hanger.

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 12
s.hamel

Still doesn't show up for me, tells me "Specification Invalid" when I view it, and does not show any of your custom fields:

NoCustData.PNG

However, I think the limit is not actually with the # of characters used for the Sokkia Description, but for all custom fields overall when retrieved.  If possible I would like you to try something.  Can you change the order of custom fields?  If so, try moving the Sokkia Description in front of a few of those other custom fields and see if you are then getting the full value of Sokkia description added.  Let me know.

Thanks,

Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Message 11 of 12
TonyHolsinger

I changed the order and that seems to help with what we are trying to accomplish. Thank you for your help. 

Message 12 of 12
s.hamel

Great news Tony, and I appreciate you coming back and providing an update on this!

Thanks,

Shayne

Shayne Hamel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report