Did you mean: 

stand alone license

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
joshua
2356 Views, 7 Replies

stand alone license

Good day!

i have bought a stand alone installer about two years ago, i am just wondering how the perpetual license change will affect my subscription and also the validity of the license. thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: joshua

Your perpetual license is just that - perpetual.  You can still install and activate as needed.  If you haven't been renewing Maintenance Subscription (support services) then you are limited to the last version you had access to, so if you want to upgrade to a more recent version you will need to purchase a Desktop Subscription license.  If you are up to date on the Subscription then you will continue to have access to the latest releases.

Now, whether it will install and run on a currently available operating system, thats something *not* covered.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 8
michael
in reply to: dgorsman

so basically sir, what you're saying is that, for example, the version i am using right now is auto cad 2015, after Jan 31, i wont be able to upgrade my software to auto cad 2016? unless i bought desktop subscription license?

and what about the maintenance subscription i bought, they said it will be valid up to 2017, will this be affected? thank you
Message 4 of 8
felice.s
in reply to: michael

Hi @michael,

If you have a perpetual license of AutoCAD 2015 (and I'm assuming that you do), you can continue to use that license forever.  You have perpetual rights to use that software. Further... if you have the optional Maintenance Subscription attached to your perpetual license (and again, I'm assuming that you do as you mentioned it), AND that Maintenance Subscription contract was active when we released AutoCAD 2016 in March of this year, then you would have already been fulfilled with the update for AutoCAD 2016.  If you installed and activated AutoCAD 2016, then you have perpetual rights to that version of the software and we would continue to provide updates to AutoCAD to you until your Maintenance Subscription contract expires.  If you have an active contract now, I recommend keeping that contract active (i.e, renewing it each year before it expires) so that you can continue to recieve updates and the Jan. 31 date does not impact you at all.

On the other hand, if you have AutoCAD 2015 but your Maintenance Subscription has already expired, then you will need to subscribe to AutoCAD (Desktop Subscription) after Jan. 31, if you want the latest version of that software.  You will no longer be able to buy a perpetual license of AutoCAD after Jan. 31, you will, however, be able to subscribe to it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felice

Felice S
Consumption Business Models Team
Message 5 of 8
pendean
in reply to: michael

"upgrades" died a couple of years ago now: if you are on 2015 and you want 2016, you pay full price right now, or last month or last summer too. There is no pricing discount anymore. So that's +$4k my friend.

Before Feb1, you will spend only +$4k to buy AutoCAD 2016. After Feb1 it will be +$4k plus one year subscription cost ($550, give or take, here in North America).

One year subscription on Feb 1 2016 expires Feb 1 2017. if AutoCAD2017 comes out in that time, you get it for no extra cost. Heck, if AutoCAD2018 came out i that time period you'd get it for no extra cost too.

After Feb 1 2017 (if you purchased a one year subscription), you have to spend +/-$550 to buy another year of subscription. and so on.

Autodesk did the math for you: your old "upgrade' discount that you had three years to jump on before you paid full price is now about the same as 3-years of subscription.

Since you never took up subscription back in the early days that it was affordable, jumping on 2016 for you from 2015 is a big cost. I suggest you contact a reseller and get notified when Autodesk is having a "sale" and jump on it if you want to move on from R2015 in the future.

Hope that helps explain it more. Good luck.
Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: joshua

It's already been mentioned. But I think it's worth repeating. If you have a perpetual licence without a Maintenance Subscription. The phrase "use that license forever" only applies if you can keep an operating system that it will run on FOREVER.

I worked in an office a few years ago. They had software that they wanted to keep using. They would have gladly paid for upgrades but the company was out of business. So we were desperately trying to keep one computer running Windows 95 going.

There are potential compatibility issues with 2015 and Windows 10. So if you skipped Win 8 you're going to want to keep Win 7 to run 2015 on. Do some people get older versions to run on a more modern OS? Yes. But it's often a trial and some never get it to work at all.

I just want people to know that the license may be perpetual but the ability to run it may not.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: felice.s

When I accessed the AutoCAD "Product License Information" (within the program)  that I accessed through AutoCAD>Help>About[Product Name]. Listed is "License behavior: Permanent" does this mean perpetual?  

Also, information is lacking on renewal and license documents from Autedesk.  At least list the licence number, serial number,  product type with your transactions. If I buy a subscription for a particular serial number then refence that in the bill.  

Message 8 of 8
asburyj
in reply to: Anonymous

You are correct. Licenses showing as Permanent are perpetual. 

Jeffry Asbury

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report