Did you mean: 

Perpetual license questions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
richard
2611 Views, 6 Replies

Perpetual license questions

Like almost all users across the board, I find the subscription model to be abhorrent and entirely in the benefit of Autodesk. However, I will keep my questions on topic and relevant, instead of focusing on the fact that users have almost nothing to gain with this new software rental model.

We purchased somewhere around 12 licenses of 3dsmax when we launched our business. Most of these were 3dsmax 2009. When annual subscription came into effect, we decided to put 4 of our licenses into subscription. With that, let's say we installed 3dsmax 2016 on four machines.

After Jan 1st, 2016, I assume that what we technically 'own' (definition varies greatly according to Autodesk) are 8 perpetual licenses of 3dsmax 2009 and 4 perpetual licenses of 3dsmax 2016. I assume, even if we discontinue all Autodesk subscriptions in the future, we are entitled to use those aforementioned versions indefinitely (as has been the standard software licensing model since forever).

My understanding of desktop subscription is that if we do not annually pay, we will be stuck with our 4 licenses of 3dsmax 2016 and will no longer be entitled to free upgrades in the future. However, we would be able to introduce new versions of 3dsmax through the monthly subscription model. Am I correct so far in the logic of this already far too comlicated licensing system?

Finally, I have yet to see monthly subscription model prices but I believe I was told it was in the $150 price range for 3dsmax. Is this ACTUALLY how much it would cost us to rent a new version of 3dsmax for a month if we get a freelancer in-studio, or is this based on something ridiculous like a 12-month payment? So actually $150 x 12 = $1800? I seriously hope not as the point of a monthly subscription is to be able to rent a product for a month.

Is my logic and understanding correct for all this Autodesk? Have I missed anything I should be aware of?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
spacefrog_
in reply to: richard

@Richard wrote:

My understanding of desktop subscription is that if we do not annually pay, we will be stuck with our 4 licenses of 3dsmax 2016 and will no longer be entitled to free upgrades in the future. However, we would be able to introduce new versions of 3dsmax through the monthly subscription model. Am I correct so far in the logic of this already far too comlicated licensing system?

With desktop subscription it's worse:

In fact if you DO NOT ANUALLY PAY, your 4 licenses of 3ds Max 2016 STOP to work: the license will go defunct until you start paying again.

And regarding the Max 2009 perpetual licensese: exactly speaking, you do not own the software, but you own the right to use the software. In the case of the perpetual license ( your Max 2009 licenses ) , you own the right to use the software FOREVER ...

That's essentially the big trickery thats happening on cost of the userbase with the license scheme transition.

Message 3 of 7
felice.s
in reply to: spacefrog_

Hi @spacefrog, hi @richard,

A few more answers to the original questions posted:

After Jan 1st, 2016, I assume that what we technically 'own' are 8 perpetual licenses of 3dsmax 2009 and 4 perpetual licenses of 3dsmax 2016.

>>Correct

I assume, even if we discontinue all Autodesk subscriptions in the future, we are entitled to use those aforementioned versions indefinitely

>>Correct

...if we do not annually pay, we will be stuck with our 4 licenses of 3dsmax 2016 and will no longer be entitled to free upgrades in the future.

>>If you let your 4 3ds Max 2016 maintenance contracts lapse, you will not be entitled to the 'free upgrades in the future', correct. However, you still have 12 licenses to run whichever versions you own.

However, we would be able to introduce new versions of 3dsmax through the monthly subscription model.

>>Correct, if you do not maintain the 4 3dsMax Maintenance Subs contracts you will not receive updates.  If this happens and you later decide that you need the new features, you would only be able to get back on to Maintenance Subscription if 2016 is still the current version.  If not, then yes you are correct, you would need to move to Desktop Subscription to get the updated versions.  These Desktop Subscriptions would be additional licenses that do not invalidate the 12 existing licenses you already have. 

... I believe I was told it was in the $150 price range for 3dsmax. Is this ACTUALLY how much it would cost us to rent a new version of 3dsmax for a month

>>I checked a few sources for you (amazon.com, the Autodesk eStore, for example.)  The pricing you mention above appears to be in the monthly Desktop Subscription range, not in the annual range.  (Note that support, product updates and other services/benefits are always included in this pricing.) Resellers could have other options and promotions. Hopefully this gives you an idea of the pricing.

Is my logic and understanding correct for all this Autodesk? Have I missed anything I should be aware of?

>>I think so, yes.  One suggestion, especially if you do not like the idea of the subscription (rental) model... your four 3dsMax 2016 licenses are eligible to be on Maintenance Subscription (if they are not already).  I would recommend that you add Maintenance Subscriptioin (if not already) or renew these contracts before they expire and then you are virtually unaffected by the transition to the subscription models. One last point, there are some advantages to the licensing of Desktop Subscription over perpetual of which you may not be aware... Desktop Subscription licenses travel with the user (not the machine) so that you can access the software from home, from work, when travelling here or abroad, etc (provided that the Desktop Subscription were purchased in your home country.) Also, Desktop Subscription licenses can be more easily transferred from one employee to another without having to go through Autodesk to do so.  They are move flexibile in this way.

Hope this helps to clarify a bit.

Regards,

Felice

Felice S
Consumption Business Models Team
Message 4 of 7
joselnoronha
in reply to: felice.s

Quote:

"A few more answers to the original questions posted:

After Jan 1st, 2016, I assume that what we technically 'own' are 8 perpetual licenses of 3dsmax 2009 and 4 perpetual licenses of 3dsmax 2016.

>>Correct

I assume, even if we discontinue all Autodesk subscriptions in the future, we are entitled to use those aforementioned versions indefinitely

>>Correct"

Does the same apply to the AutoCad LT 2009 I have purchased in 2008? Back then no subscription licences were available...

Would appreciate a reply as that will help me to decide on the future course of action.

Message 5 of 7
felice.s
in reply to: joselnoronha

Hi @joselnoronha

Does the same apply to the AutoCad LT 2009 I have purchased in 2008? Back then no subscription licences were available...

>>Yes, the AutoCAD LT 2009 that your purchased in 2008 is a perpetual license. From question/answer 1. 6 in our FAQ page here "...existing or new perpetual licenses are still valid.  Customers retain their perpetual software license and can continue to use it in accordance with their perpetual license agreement."

Hope that answers the question for you.

Regards,
Felice

Felice S
Consumption Business Models Team
Message 6 of 7
petergAGJU3
in reply to: joselnoronha

I Purchaced a single Perpetual liscence Autocad 2016 on April 18, 2015 --complete with a 1 year maintenance subscription.

How do I renew my maintenance subscription subscription for another year???

Question # 2  During 2015 - I was forced to change my email address - Does this affect my accounts with Autodesk??

My auto cad program was downloaded on the old email address.

Peter Gleed

new email -"edited"

This is a public forum, please refrain from posting serial numbers or personal information

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 7 of 7
hazlipa
in reply to: petergAGJU3

Hi there @petergAGJU3, Welcome to the Community! 

If you purchased an annual Maintenance Subscription (now called a “maintenance plan”) for your perpetual license and wish to renew it, I suggest you do so as soon as possible. While you can renew your existing maintenance plan for as long as you wish to keep the service going, you must renew it on-time (before expiration.)  If you purchased the maintenance plan from an Autodesk reseller, contact the reseller to renew.  If you purchased the maintenance plan on the Autodesk Store, you may be able to renew it online via your Autodesk Account. Here's a guide showing how:

How to Renew your Maintenance Plan

It is ok to change your email address, however we would want to make sure it's the same email on all licenses for organizational purposes. You should ideally be able to see all of your current subscriptions in the Billing and Orders tab of your Autodesk Account. If you would like to have this verified for your account, I would recommend getting in contact with one of our Autodesk Customer Care representatives. 

Submit a Request to Autodesk Customer Service 

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Ariel Hazlip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report