Community
Netfabb Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Netfabb Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Netfabb topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NF 2025 - how does the scaling value label work?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
joshua_frizzell
331 Views, 4 Replies

NF 2025 - how does the scaling value label work?

So I was excited when seeing that we could add the scale as a value to a part. I was expecting that if I was scaling "box" by X1.1 Y1.2 Z2.0 then it would change the name to "box X1.1 Y1.2 Z2.0" but instead it changes it to "box 1.38." I'm confused because the average of 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 is 1.433 so it doesn't seem like an average which would have at least been semi useful. Is this a bug?

joshua_frizzell_0-1712249727572.png

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hello, @joshua_frizzell,

Welcome to the Netfabb forum!

It's the cube root of the scaling factors, or geometric mean, which is, granted, arguably as semi-useful as the arithmetic mean.

Also, renaming out of labeling has been in since NF 2023.0. 😉

Kind regards,

Steffen

Steffen Anders

Autodesk Netfabb Team

Netfabb resources: Online HelpNetfabb knowledge baseForumsHomepageYouTube
Message 3 of 5

@steffen_anders_adsk 

Got it, is there any way to change it such that the value equals the full list of scaling factors? At least for the work I do, that would be much more useful than the cube root. Currently I just copy and paste the scaling factors I use on to the end of each part name which, you can imagine, becomes quite time consuming.

Also yep I realize that now, I guess I didn't notice until I was checking out the label value and saw that the scaling also works.

Message 4 of 5

There is no way to change what value Netfabb actually puts in for Value (per Renaming configuration in the Settings), but with Lua you have the option of creating your own scaling tool that can rename the result however you'd want.

Steffen Anders

Autodesk Netfabb Team

Netfabb resources: Online HelpNetfabb knowledge baseForumsHomepageYouTube
Message 5 of 5

Got it thank you, my team and I are currently looking through Lua scripts figuring out what we can automate. Which I should say, thank you for adding Lua script accessibility to all versions in 2025.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report