cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
NickBrege
294 Views, 4 Replies

Which API?

If I want to create an external, stand-alone .Net application that drives AutoCad, which API do I need to use ... the .Net API or the COM Interop API?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: NickBrege

The .NET api or AutoCAD managed api is only available to a dll that uses the NETLOAD command to load it. If you have to use a standalone exe, your only option is the COM api.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
norman.yuan

In addition to what @Ed.Jobe said, you may want to think harder and ask yourself: why you want to use an EXE app to drive AutoCAD: it is hardly an good business solution in most cases, if not all.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
NickBrege
in reply to: norman.yuan

It may not be the best solution, but I certainly wouldn't say it's "hardly a good business solution".  It has served us well over the years...

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

...or you run an external EXE using COM just to start AutoCAD and load your managed DLL, and this DLL does the real job 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report