Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks/AutoCad displaying objects incorrectly.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1834 Views, 3 Replies

Navisworks/AutoCad displaying objects incorrectly.

Hello everyone,

I am currently modelling in Autocad 2015, and appending various files into Navisworks as i go along. 

There is a problem which keeps occuring whenever i edit a group of 3d objects in one command.

For example - In AutoCAD i will drag a box around a number of seperate 3d objects, move them, save the changes, refresh the Navisworks file, and Navis will show some of the objects in their new position, and some are still in their previous position. 

The left hand edge of this platfrom has been modified, i moved the legs/handrailling 200mm to the right, and sliced the flooring,frame along the new position of the back edge. Everything looks fine as you can see

:AUTOCAD VIEW.PNG

However, when i refresh the Navis model, some of the objects have not moved:

NAVISWORKS VIEW.PNG

I actually grabbed all of the handrailling in one selection, and moved it all in one command.

But as you can see, only part of the handrailling is shown as moved.

If i re-draw the object and refresh Navisworks this corrects the issue. But this is annoying/time consuming, and sometimes i don't spot the error straight away, so i then have to go back and hours of work are lost. Not to mention the mistakes that can be made due to this confusion.

Also, i don't think this is "ghosting", as on the AutoCad file, the image and the nodes of the object are in the same position.

Everything looks fine on the AutoCad file.

AUTOCAD VIEW 2.PNG

I initailly thought this was a Navisworks problem. However, at some point down the line (sometimes minutes later, sometime days), the objects in AutoCad will suddenly jump to the same position as they are shown in the Navis, as if they weren't actually displayed correctly in AutoCad in the first place. 

So i'm going to post this in the NavisWorks section, along with the AutoCad section.

Has anybody else experienced this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, John.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Are these just solids, or are you using a vertical product or third-party program that produces "Handrails" as objects?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: dgorsman

In the Navisworks Options Model -> Performance, select "Close NWC/NWD files on load. That should not leave the NWC file locked after opening the NWF and refresh.
Then, in between saving in Autocad and refresh in Navisworks, delete the NWC file.

Other possibilities:
Is the DWG also a reference of another DWG that is also attached to the NWF,
and is your Option -> File Readers -> DWG -> Convert XRefs ON ?
switch it off if you have A as Xref of B and vice versa. That will avoid duplicates
AND/OR
Change your workflow:
Create an NWD of all other models but the DWG you are working on.
Attach that NWD as a "Collaboration model" in your DWG.
Then you might not need Navisworks less to see what you are doing.
Message 4 of 4
Johan-Rubbens
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi John,

Are you using "Bentley Prostructure" ?

I use Autocad 2015 with "Bentley Prostructure" to draw my steel structures.

When the "Prostructure" application is loaded and I do changes on some other parts that are Autocad 3D-solids I also have this same problem.

When I have that problem I close the dwg and re-open it without loading the "Prostructure" application.

If I do changes on these 3D-solids and I refresh in Navisworks there is no problem.

But I don't now the cause of that... because sometimes he does it and sometimes he does not.

Sometimes it helps to do a REGENALL in Autocad.

After that you will see that these components are not all moved and it will be the same as you see inNavisworks.

So I don't think it's a Navisworks problem...

greatings

Johan,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report