Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

TimeLiner Linking Task ID with Object ID

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
irupsys
2304 Views, 9 Replies

TimeLiner Linking Task ID with Object ID

Hi 

I am currently trying to link our Primavera P6 v7.0 database with our model (Navis 2014) in such way that we could keep links if any of these two gets updated.

When schedule updates there is no issues as you just need to relink new tasks and/or make other changes. But when model is changed and refreshed links dissapear, which is not suitable for any real life projects we are currently working on. So my questions:

1. Is it possible to link Task ID to object GUID inside TimeLiner (keep it in mind that these are completely different)?

2. Is it possible to display Tasks inside TimeLiner with Task ID instead of Names as it is not possible for me to change display name in there? If it would be possible, I could export Task ID's linked to object GUID and then reinsert it through datatools which would allow us to change our model and almost all GUID would remain linked to Task ID's after a refresh.

3. Is it possible to display Task ID field inside Properties window TimeLiner tab?? Because currently it displays only Task name, dates and laps info.

Thanks in advance.

Irmantas 

LOR

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
irupsys
in reply to: irupsys

Or maybe somebody knows a way how to update model and keep Tasks linked to model?

Message 3 of 10
dgorsman

If the model is in a constant state of being updated, use search sets with appropriate parameters for any processes.  That way when objects are added they will still be selected; when objects are modified they will be selected appropriately based on their new properties.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 10
AdvancedCM

I use P6 to manage the Timeliner data. However, I'm in an environment with a federated model and can't be assured I'll always get consitsent data which aligns with search sets. After investigating datatools I'm using an MS Access database which typically uses the GUID value to associate all kinds of data to an object; schedule Task ID included. It has helped me keep objects linked to the schedule using rules as both the model and schedule are revised. It's not perfect, but it certainly reduces rework. MS Access has an advantage over Excel in that I can keep a live link with the model and make both database and Primavera changes at the same time.

Message 5 of 10
irupsys
in reply to: AdvancedCM

Thanks for replies.

I have considered search sets as a last option as it is not very flexible and requires quite a lot of manual work.

AdvancedCM how do you manage to link Task ID to GUID inside MS Access? As task ID is not displayed anywhere on the object properties?

Message 6 of 10
AdvancedCM

Once you link an MS Access table to a Navisworks model you get a custom property tab. In that tab I include a copy of the GUID, the schedule Task ID in a Task ID field as well as other schedule or construction data. Then I use the Timeliner rules to search for the Task ID in the custom property tab rather than any other property to make the link to the schedule dates. On a large model it does take some time to search, but it works fairly well. 

Most of the work is identifying the GUID for an object, which for me is a schedule task description which I have to make anyway in P6. I use two methods to get a GUID for an object. For example for pieces of piping I'll select a number of objects and then use Selection Inspector in Navisworks to get a list of GUIDs which I export to a CSV file and then paste into an MS Access table. There I can assign the Task ID number which immediately shows up in the custom tab for that object. Or I use an Navisworks addin called Surveyor which works very well to group lots of object into Excel which I then place in an MS Access table. There is a cost for that addin though. 

If your GUIDs don't stay the same when the model is revised you can use any other consistent data to make a custom link keeping your Task ID the same. In essence my Access database mimics the P6 schedule tasks although I usually have more schedule tasks than records in the Access database. Having to deal with a federated model I can't always predict what object data I'll get from a design organization so I have flexibility to make custom links. I don't see it as duplicate work as I put my schedule activity description in MS Access as I go through the model and export those directly into P6. So I only make a schedule activity once.

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/NAVIS/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Asurveyo...

Message 7 of 10
irupsys

MS Access seems to be better option than Excel I see. I have been using same method as you described just instead of live Access link I used Excel file with GUID linked to Task ID. And after reimporting it each object would have Task ID inside its Custom tab. This allows me to use rules to re-link tasks. If you replace Task Names with Task ID's you could link everything inside model and export all GUID with their Task ID's this would speed up your GUID identifications for Tasks.

I am still waiting for response from Autodesk Support team to find out if this is the only option to actualy get Navisworks 4D working in actual world with revisions.

Message 8 of 10
AdvancedCM

I hope you get a positive response from Autodesk. I find they are more focused on design integration rather than construction uses for Navisworks. Synchro does a better job at 4D from the linking perspective in my opinion. But often I also use laser point clouds in Navisworks in conjunction with CAD designs so Synchro isn't the best option for me. Navisworks and MS Access is the best compromise I can come up with for now. Regards.

Message 9 of 10
laybrad1

So I might be in the wrong thread asking this, but is there a way to have two people wokring on the same P6 schedule yet in different models? We are doing a 1M sq. ft. model and need to split the work. One on exterior enclosure the other on MEP shafts and mains. Were currently using excel to tie the Task ID's in the Exterior Model, but i want to us P6 for the MEP systems. If i use my method to do my share of the work, will we be able to get bot these into an integrated model so when we run the 4D simulation both will work hand-in-hand? Or does it only have to live in one single model? I've done sequencing multiple times, but never really split the work. Is this even possible??? Please let me know ASAP before we spen the time and crash and burn.

Message 10 of 10
AdvancedCM
in reply to: laybrad1

I don't know if what you want to do is possible. You may have to experiment or possibly ask Autodesk support. However, I find there isn't a lot of good documentation for work flows using Timeliner and support is lacking. I prefer using P6 but have given up due to the complicated/inefficient Timeliner interface. When using P6, I built a Timeliner layout to verify the data and then export to Excel and then save as a CSV file. It allows me to filter out non-simulation tasks and over-complicating Timeliner. Updating NW is quick with a CSV file. Timeliner needs to get upgraded internal tools to be more useful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report