Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks with VR

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
14573 Views, 11 Replies

Navisworks with VR

Hi all...

Navisworks produce only Stereo Panorama for VR or i can enter in the model and walk freely?
Other question, i only found informations about Google CardBoard and Oculus Rift, there some other VR options to use with Navisworks?

If i need to walk into my model, what application is more recomended?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

The only 3D directly supported by Navisworks at the moment is the nVidia glasses; that requires substantial investments in hardware.  If you want to use a different system such as Occulus you'll need another software platform.  The program is oriented more towards technical applications rather than something more entertainment (for lack of a better word) related.

"Walking into" a model is done with the walk tool.  That allows navigation through the model; with collision (and possibly gravity) turned on its sufficient for most review purposes.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

OK, walking into a model is easy, but, works if i use a VR like Oculus Rift?
Message 4 of 12
LyleHardin

We've had success using Unity to make walk through VR from 3D models exported to FBX format. Requires some coding, but our IT guy figured it out in a few hours and had some fun with it. He's made VR walk throughs of our models for Google Cardboard and the Samsung Gear VR.

It's a lot of information considering you have the entire model to deal with rather than just the 6 stereo images rendered by A360 so it's not as crisp and can be rather jerky but it's still pretty impressive. We still have some bugs to work out, but it's a start. So, if you have someone who can do some relatively simple coding, you can start there.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: LyleHardin

Nice advice from you guys, i will start with some model, exported in FBX and i will use Unreal or Unity.

Thanks a lot.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

There is an extension called Revizto (https://revizto.com) . It's not for free but works well on heavy Navisworks models when navigating through. It is compatible with Oculus Rift an HTC Vive. If you only want to use cardboard, I would recomend Kubity (https://www.kubity.com/).

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 12
caseyk
in reply to: dgorsman

I don't see this as an "entertainment" only feature. This could be really great for previewing of BIM Construction projects, and getting approval from owner and architect on what finished design will look like. 

This is currently only really done with renderings out of Revit, and rarely includes actual BIM fabrication models, that aren't visible or even designed yet in the revit model. I think giving an owner the full capability to walk through their future house/office space and really get a feel for it before it's even out of the ground could be really great. You just don't get that sense of scale with just a flat computer screen.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: caseyk

Hi
Actually i use navisworks to join all the files, export into fbx format, and then to 3ds/stingray to create a acceptable looking into the model.
Is a lot of work, and i agree with you, if Navisworks have this kind a function, will be a lot easier.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I would be very interested to have native Navisworks in VR.

If Navis already supports stereoscopic views using nVidia active shutter technology, it can't be too much of a leap to have each view rendered on the 2 screens in a VR headset.

What I would like however is more of the Navis functionality, namely being able to hide geometry, see properties (quick properties would suffice) and access selection/search sets.

This would mean (as mentioned above) a lot less additional work, and make the model more accessible to site teams who are often challenged by a mouse and keyboard.

I have an HTC Vive on site and am using Enscape to deliver VR to out Project Managers/Site Managers though the experience is limited due to not being able to manipulate geometry visibilities.

As Navisworks (Autodesk Premium BIM federation solution) has have basically ZERO enhancements over the last 4 releases, maybe this could be added to the list of essential enhancements?

Message 10 of 12
luismestre

No need for special code whatsoever, its a straight forward operation.

1-Export the file to obj or fbx,

2- Import into Unity

3- Apply a VRplayer controller

4- Export for Pc

there's a few settings you need to  twick , but basically it's the abouve 4 points to make a simple walkthrough ... no need to learn code/unity scripts etc.

Luis Mestre
Oil&Gas Sr.3D & Subsea/Structural Designer
"Autodesk Autocad/Inventor & 3D Studio Max"
Email:lmsmestre@gmail.com
Message 11 of 12
Milan_Nosil

In my company, we're testing VR in Navisworks. The best procedure is via "IRIS VR".

This program is the addin to Navis, but he's paid (trial time is 45 days).

https://help.irisvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007600354-Navisworks 

Simple work and good quality - I recommend.

Message 12 of 12
luismestre
in reply to: Milan_Nosil

Hi 

Yes I know I came across Iris prospect  few months ago. since then we have been running quite a few tests .

Till now everything looks fantastic.

Thanks

Luis Mestre
Oil&Gas Sr.3D & Subsea/Structural Designer
"Autodesk Autocad/Inventor & 3D Studio Max"
Email:lmsmestre@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report