Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks to Maya

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
TheNewFrame
1838 Views, 3 Replies

Navisworks to Maya

Hi there,

So a client provided me with a major CAD scene in Navisworks format (.nwd), which needs to be exported to Maya.

I found that the only way to do this is by making an FBX export, however the .fbx file (binary) became arround 2GB and does nothing when I try to import it to Maya. I'm currently trying the ascii FBX (takes loooong to export) but maybe there are other (better) ways to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Niels

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TheNewFrame
in reply to: TheNewFrame

I tried the ascii FBX, it created a 16GB file which makes maya freeze when I try to select it in the Import menu. 

Message 3 of 4

Hi @TheNewFrame,

call the client and ask for another format. Why NWD? Nobody works in Nwd if not for clashes or time simulation.

NWD is only a collection of models, but oyu cannot modify (kind of) anything inside of it.

Best

Nicola

Message 4 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Nicola_Ianeselli

Don't try to do it all in one go, either.  Get it broken down into logical chunks, and "shrinkwrapped" or "simplified" if possible.  See if they can provide a neutral format such as IGES

You may still run into problems.  Engineering designed items typically run counter to visualization software procedures.  They have many individual instances of low-poly objects (for counting) which runs counter to the usual low instances with high-poly count and duplications.  Models usually have a higher level of detail due to objects which would never be naturally visible and/or required for connectivity; in Maya those would be ignored or done with textures or procedural surface modifiers.  Civil-scale designs can have an additional problem if they are geo-located - the geometry will need to be moved much closer to the origin to reduce the coordinate values to usable numbers.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report