Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks - problem with graphics card driver

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
RobinDhondt
6478 Views, 13 Replies

Navisworks - problem with graphics card driver

Hello,

I have a problem when loading navisworks it says the following:

problem navis.png

When clicking ok navisworks continues to open but blocks after opening.

Can't click anything, can't close it either whitout using windows task manager.

The graphics card in this device is a Geforce GTX860M.

Anyone know what the problem would be?

There are no updates for my graphics card driver.

Kind Regards,

Robin

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: RobinDhondt

Common theme with a lot of 2015 products: does your graphics card support DirectX 11?  If not, there may not be an immediate solution other than a hardware upgrade.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 14
RobinDhondt
in reply to: dgorsman

That would be a pitty, the laptop is brand new.

Also if I go to options editor and I uncheck Autodesk (DirectX 11), I open navisworks and I get the same error like before but then where stands DirectX 11, it says DirectX 9).

Next error after unchecking DirectX 9 is again the same error with OpenGL ... and so on.

problem navis2.png

I have no idea if my graphics card supports DirectX 11 ...

Message 4 of 14
dgorsman

Easy enough to find out.  Head over to the manufacturer home page (nVidia) and find the product info page - its well organized so it won't be a chore.  Have a poke around, looking for specifications.  If you have to you can give them a quick poke and ask directly.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 14
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: dgorsman

Debug yourself using navisworks the following way
in the dialog you posted, uncheck al but the last one.
Does it work ?
if so, check the one above, uncheck al other
and so on.

You don't need to have 5 grafical systems configured, you just need just one that works. the one on top is the most recent and best, but 2nd best may also be good enough.

after updating your nVidia driver, you'll have to start all over again.
Message 6 of 14

Hello there,

your card does support DX11. It´s a rebranded 7XX type I guess.

Therefore I think you will have to have a look for a working sub-

system as well as a new driver. See which option gives you the

best experience and lateron check which one is the fastest.

It´s brand new, be patient.

Anyway, using certified hardware will also leave you with some

bugs to complain about, even if the readme say´s "pass without

flaw". The "pass" also is limited to one mode- not all the modes

Navisworks offers.

Does Navisworks Freedom give you the same error message?

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 7 of 14
RobinDhondt
in reply to: Logos_Atum

Just installed Navisworks Freedom and it works.

Doesn't block or anything.

Also all my other autodesk products work...

Inventor, 3ds max, ...

Can't understand why Navisworks manage doesn't.

When I uncheck all options but the last one (OpenGL) I don't get an error message while opening Navisworks but

when opened I can't do anything. Navisworks is completely blocked.

I uninstalled navisworks and re-installed it. Same issue...

Message 8 of 14
Logos_Atum

I had that problem too!

Let me see, I disabled the WPF hardware acceleration, it ought to work after that.

Kind regads

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 9 of 14
RobinDhondt
in reply to: Logos_Atum

Ok, thank you for your answer... 

now one more.

How do I disable the WPF hardware acceleration?

I find a lot of information about how to disable it in windows 7.

however none of how to disable it in windows 8.

for example here they explain how to do it:

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-off-Hardware-Acceleration

I do not have a troubleshoot tab in my properties...

Any idea?

Message 10 of 14
scott.a.green

Recommended graphics cards for Autodesk Navisworks products

Solution:

You want to know the recommended graphics card and system specifications for Autodesk® NavisWorks®.

In order to ensure that Navisworks runs as efficiently as possible, you need to have a compatible graphics card installed correctly on your computer.

There are two main types of graphics cards commercially available: workstation and consumer. Workstation graphics cards are much higher priced than consumer cards, because they generally offer dedicated drivers and are tested and optimized to work across a wide range of leading CAD applications. Examples of current workstation quality graphics cards include the NVIDIA Quadro® FX and ATI FirePro™ ranges.

Consumer graphics cards are usually relatively inexpensive. However, they are generally optimized for video gaming performance rather than CAD usage. Examples of current consumer quality graphics cards include NVIDIA® Geforce® and ATI Radeon™ ranges.

Autodesk performance testing has found that Navisworks performs well on both workstation and consumer graphics cards. It is strongly recommended that you buy the best card your budget can afford and keep the drivers up to date.

If you are planning on purchasing a consumer graphics card, ensure that you download the latest drivers from the vendor's website, because the drivers provided on the installation CD included with the graphics cards are commonly out of date. If you are considering purchasing a workstation graphics card, verify that your computer meets the requirements of the card.

You have the option to generate graphics in Navisworks with hardware acceleration disabled. However, tests have shown that using hardware acceleration in Navisworks is faster than relying solely on the software.

Autodesk Navisworks 2012 and later versions

Navisworks can use either OpenGL® or Direct3D rendering. By default OpenGL® is used for most 3D rendering and Direct3D for 2D rendering and FBX files that contain Autodesk materials. Navisworks requires a graphics card that supports at least Direct3D 9 and OpenGL® with shader model 2.

Autodesk Navisworks 2011 and earlier versions

Navisworks uses OpenGL for all rendering. Navisworks requires a graphics card that supports at least OpenGL® 1.5.

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 11 of 14

The newest driver for you card can be found here:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/75992

Public Facing Job Title
Message 12 of 14
b9ika
in reply to: scott.a.green

t_grees I have same problem, but my card Quadro 4000 and installed latest certified driver (NVIDIA Driver Release - Quadro/Tesla Desktop - 331.82 64bit [9.18.13.3182]), that can i do for fix problem?

Message 13 of 14
scott.a.green
in reply to: b9ika

Here are some thing you can try:

1. Rollback the driver

2. Uninstall and then reinstall the hardware

3. Turn off hardware acceleration

4. Perform a repair of the Navisworks installation

5. Perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Navisworks. 

This list is in the order of severity, if the first step doesn't work, go down the list. Also I would run a DXDIAG report and check for any faults in the card. If you are on a desktop you can try swapping out cards with an identical card to see if the card was defective. If both cards have the same issue I would then rollback the driver, if that doesn't help, then try a reinstall. 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 14 of 14
DiazA

This is what fixed the issue for my users.

If your computer has a processor with integrated graphics, Navisworks may be using the integrated adapter instead of the dedicated graphics adadpter. To find out, righ-click 'Computer' and select 'Properties' then select 'Device Manager'. Expand 'Display adapters'.

To force Navisworks, and any 3D application, to use the dedicated graphics adapter open the 'Nvidia Control Panel' from Control Panel (or right-click on your desktop and select it from the menu). BTW, AMD graphics cards also have a Catalyst control panel that can be opened also from Control Panel or the desktop's right-click menu. Look for '3D Settings / Manage 3D settings'. Select the application and set the graphics adapter you want to assign to it. For a more detailed instructions go to Nvidia or AMD websites.

Regards,

Alex Diaz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report