Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excavation and tunnel galeries in a 4D simulation... how would you go ?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
nicolasmenu
578 Views, 1 Reply

Excavation and tunnel galeries in a 4D simulation... how would you go ?

Hi,
I have a project where I need to set up a 4D simulation representing existing ground conditions, then add the sites installations, and then a well being excavated, from the bottom of that well, we have tunnels galleries that will run horizontally and needs to be represented as well.

I need to show all that in a 4D simulation, how would you go with Navisworks (and Civil 3D)...
How would you model the terrain ? AutoCAD Solids ? or Surfaces ?... 
Can we make the ground in Navis somehow transparent, so we can see what happens below ?

I am a bit struggling with how to go with this... if the best is to make my well and tunnels as hole in the surface or as solids inside the ground instead... Just need to have it looks good in animation or 4D simulation at the end...

I was also thinking about doing it in Infraworks, instead of Navisworks...

All input very welcome, and thanks for your thoughts.
Nicolas

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dgorsman
in reply to: nicolasmenu

Sounds like you've got two problems: modeling the content, and how to manage that in a timeline simulation.  Sound about right?

For ground surfaces, you'll likely be working with triangulated surfaces rather than solids.  Civil3D will do fine for the grade, but it falls short on tunnels (it's not built to handle overhangs or similar vertical or stacked surfaces).  Not certain on how well Infraworks handles tunnels and similar situations.  Navisworks does well in simulation, but there is an upper limit on how good the finished product looks; keep it focused on a technical presentation (false colors, etc.) rather than attempting anything photo-real.  Real-time playback on complicated models is usually sub-par as it prioritizes displaying objects.

If you do stick with AutoCAD products for creating the models, your best bet is to create either 3D faces or meshes for the tunnels.  Depending on the data you have, you might be able to find some automation to help with processing that.  Use layers to separate logical groups, so you can select them in Navisworks for selectively applying transparency as well as handling timeline-based appearances e.g. fading in and/or object animation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report