Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply Simulate/Manage default settings automatically?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dgorsman
5119 Views, 6 Replies

Apply Simulate/Manage default settings automatically?

When a new user logs in to a computer and starts Simulate or Manage, they get the default out-of-the-box option settings.  These can be changed through the options editor or inside the program and manually importing an XML settings file.  I have 100+ workstations to configure... is there a command-line or scriptable equivalent to this action?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tim.wiegand
in reply to: dgorsman

Navisworks has a few standard places it looks for configuration files, including additional global options settings. These locations are

• Navisworks specific folder under user profile/Application Data
  • Navisworks specific folder under all users profile/Application Data
  • Install Directory
  • Project Directory (if set in Options/General/Locations or when setting up deployment based install)
  • Site Directory (if set in Options/General/Locations or when setting up deployment based install)

Within these locations Navisworks will load all global options XML files in the global_options subfolder.

So, to answer your question, copy the XML settings file to the global_options subfolder in whichever location makes sense for you. For additional control, you can prepare the XML settings file using the standalone options editor, which allows you to lock selected options so that they can't be changed by end users.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 3 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Is there a specific file name that is looked for?  I tried a quick test with "test.xml" and that didn't work, but renaming it to "global_options.xml" did.

Also, users will want to have their own quick properties settings.  As I understand it, they can export those settings to the global_options folder under their Windows profile Documents and Settings path, correct?

Message 4 of 7
tim.wiegand
in reply to: dgorsman

It shouldn't matter what you call the files - Navisworks should load each file it finds. If you have two files with the same name in different locations, Navisworks will only load the one in the first location it searches.

Options that the user changes through the GUI will be saved in the registry. They can transfer options from one machine to another by exporting and importing. Putting options files in the global_options directory is intended to be a way of sharing common options between multiple users.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 5 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Somethings not working properly, then.  I have one file in the ...\All users\...\global_options\ folder, with everything set.  The only difference is the "Close NWC/NWD on load", which I have turned off in the program.  The XML file should ensure that toggle is on (the file shows that option as true), but it doesn't.  I can turn it off, close the application, restart, and it will still be off.

I have another file under my own ...\global_options\ folder with quick properties settings, and those are not set either.  When I start the program there are no quick properties set up.

Message 6 of 7

I know this is an old post but did you ever find a solution for this?  We are preparing to roll out 2016 and I would like to be able to set this option for everyone.

Thanks,

Mick

Message 7 of 7

I have not tried it myself, but I would go the way to add a folder global_options to the (deployment of the) install folder and place your XML there.
You might be able to test it by first making it locally and then log on the the machine with a new user and start Navisworks. If you need to test it again, delete the user profile of the new user and try again.
Please let know if and how you got it working in which version of Navisworks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report