cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summation of nodal results

Summation of nodal results

I really need to be able to sum nodal results. For example aquiring the total contact force between two parts in welded contact. 

Selecting subentities (to use a Sim Mech term) would be great as well. So if I want all the nodes on a surface, all I have to do is select that surface and request all nodes on that surface be added to my selection set.  

22 Comments
AndrewSears
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

dipoleman
Explorer

I posted this last week:

I'm calculating the heat flux and temperature distribution of a power station boiler wall tube. 

That seams relatively straightforward using the Nonlinear Steady State Heat Transfer method and the results are as expected.

However as well as the temperature distribution I need to know the mean temperature of the tube.

Is there any way of outputting the solution i.e. the temperature at each Element? 

This would solve my problem!!!

rlkillian
Advocate

Was this suggestion ever implemented? If so, I can't find it. If not, just how far in the future are you thinking?

dipoleman
Explorer
Hi
As far as I know it hasn't been implimented

Cheers dave
avocado.acevedo
Community Visitor

I would just like to add my voice to this request as a future tool, it would be immensely helpful in comparing results between different subcases and analyses. 

Thanks!
Evan

beckAE4NH
Explorer

I want to vote for this feature as well. I would like to be able to calculate total contact forces.

s.mich
Enthusiast

This would be a really useful feature, especially if you can also extract min/max/average stresses etc. over a surface.

conor_walshe
Participant

Hello, I would like to more than add my support of this feature. An FEA package works on inputs and outputs. Not having the capability in the results to provide, for example, the total force acting on two contact surfaces is more than extremely disappointing. Is there a schedule for this to be attended to? 2020 has just come out. Will we have to wait another year or will this be part of an interim update. 

david.althausen
Community Visitor

The importance of this feature to designing weldments cannot be understated. The lack of this feature seems like a big miss on Autodesk's part.

prakriteesh
Observer

I agree and would request Autodesk to consider implementing this feature as soon as possible. It is expected to be a quite standard feature in any FEA software. It would be helpful not just for weldments but also for:

a) Analytical Verification of FEA results.

b) Transfer of loads to other analysis(e.g. assembly loads to individual components)

conor_walshe
Participant

Hello,

Can we please get a response from Autodesk on this item. Is this in development or still just an ideas post? I do not think its something to be neglected. 

Conor

MAhmadi
Observer

I cannot believe that the contact force cannot be easily calculated and displayed by the tool.

johannes_kimmle
Contributor

Autodesk we need this feature please.

@rahul.patil this post requests the same function I was asking for Fusion

johanDAX3S
Enthusiast
It looks like quite a lot of us miss this function on Nastran-InCAD and would like to have it. Would be great if Autodesk moved this higher up on their priority list!
ranga.narasimhan
Enthusiast

Autodesk Pls add this feature. I dont know why this is not there yet when this topic started 6 years back.

conor_walshe
Participant
Agreed
henrique.dpires
Contributor

It's absurd a paid FEA software doesn't have this function in 2021.

Even worse, it's something its community has been asking since 2015.

Very disappointed.

eric_schubert2
Advocate

Have to agree.  This is a badly-needed feature.  We can get reaction forces for constraints.  I don't see why we can't select nodes quickly and sum up their contact force.

I had to use a ridiculous workaround, by writing down node numbers, adding them all into a group, then running an XY Plot for contact force, then copying/pasting that data into Excel and summing up all of the nodal forces.

There's no discernible reason I should need to do this just to find the contact force between parts.

ranga.narasimhan
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can someone send a small video of what is usually done? I'll see if I can manage to make a small quick add-in.

I use Nastran occasionally only, but I'm good at coding snippets. Let me give it a try.

-Ranga

jeff.peachman
Explorer

I would also like to add that this feature is a necessity. Can autodesk please tell us whether this is in development? If it is not, I need to purchase a different product.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report