cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor materials

Inventor materials

I know there is a CAD button (in materials) but what about just being able to use the materials assigned to the Inventor model straight off?

Dave W

Envisage

7 Comments
AndrewSears
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Dave,

We are currently researching options to improve this workflow.  Do you have any comparisons or additional comments about how you would like this to work?  We would like to hear more about your expectations about this workflow.  

Everything helps us understand what your needs are regarding your wrokflow.

Thanks,

Andy 

DWhiteley
Advisor

Perhaps use the Sim Mech workflow - when you first run in-cad - the model materials are automatically assigned. (perhaps on/off in the settings).

You could then modify later for non-linear etc. - but at least your initial material property values will be close.

This is a really useful when you alter material properties later and are working with weird units - you know whether you are close when modifying.

If you see my drift??

Dave W

tyler.henderson
Community Manager

Hi Dave,

I just want to be clear about what you are asking for.  In-CAD currently imports the CAD model materials that are used in the Inventor model.  So you can see them in the browser under "Materials".  But these materials don't get assigned to the parts automatically.  I assume this is what you are asking for, correct?

The next question would be, if the materials get assigned to the parts automatically, would you want the material assignments in In-CAD to be associative to the Inventor model?  Meaning, if you change the material of a part in Inventor, do you want the material of that part to change in In-CAD also?

Thanks,

Tyler

avasiliev
Advisor

Tyler, Does In-CAD can ask for automatic materials assigning from Inventor? Does it can ask for material list and property updating? when it change at Inventor?

tyler.henderson
Community Manager

Certainly it could be possible to ask the user if they want In-CAD to automatically assign the materials to the respective parts.  Also, it could be possible to ask the user if they want the materials updated in In-CAD if they change in Inventor.  If that is what's preferred we can add this to our roadmap.

AndrewSears
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

mitch.muncy
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report