cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed mesh indicater

Failed mesh indicater

I would like to have the program indicate where the mesh fails. This would save a considerable amount of time. My work around is to open the model in INV stress analysis and mesh the model. Locations of areas where the mesh failed are shown.

4 Comments
AndrewSears
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

jagadish.megadi
Explorer

We have serious issue with Nastran in CAD 2017 , we dont get proper information on the parts/3D models which fail to mesh .

we have been trying since so many days to find out why the mesh fails because of some 3D parts shapes/sizes . but no direct information available as to why the mesh fails .

please find attached images/details of AIP(Autodesk Inventor Professional) stress analysis does a better job of reporting mesh problems.

if there is any error with respect to any 3D part file , it will not begin the meshing itself . if there are minor issues with the 3D part files , it will show us as warnings with respect to exact part file and it will proceed for meshing and also for the simulation.

if any part is identified as having the mesh issue , we will delete the 3D part itself.  But in Nastran in CAD 2017 , there is no option for identifying failed mesh parts, even if is there ( make part as shell element, then check for any failure) the procedure is really cumbersome.

Hence we request your immediate solution for the mesh issue and mesh failed part identification. 

1.Autodesk inventor stress analysis - run.JPG2.Autodesk inventor stress analysis - run.JPG3.Autodesk inventor stress analysis - run.JPG 

michwmichw
Participant

My analyses typically involve large legacy CAD files with many surface irregularities.  These CAD files rarely mesh well with Nastran In-CAD.  At least with Simulation Mechanical the problem surfaces were highlighted and I would know where to focus my efforts.  

Other than the shell element game, are there any other tricks to highlight problem areas?  Splitting the dictionary to find the problem is very inefficient.  

C'mon bro!  Step your game up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to add the following idea for a utility tool.

I have had many cashes related to re-meshing / re-establishing offset surface shells once the original geometry has been changed. These geometry changes are sometimes simply an increase in an items overall length

The original geometry is mainly sheet metal components

I use split surfaces to define mounting areas for bolt connection on the sheet metal parts.

From several past projects with Inventor Nastran there seems to be a weakness in re-associating surface bodies, Idealizations and meshes to sheet metal derived parts to changed geometry. (Not new geometry)

I feel the software needs a rebuild function to re-association or at least a purge facility to remove all now redundant associations

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report