cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow 3D brick elements

Allow 3D brick elements

Forum post (Quad Meshing for Solids)

I would like to be able to create 3D brick elements when solid meshing Inventor or SolidWorks parts/assemblies.

38 Comments
serge.sidorov
Alumni

Hellz yeah! I've been asking for it for ages!

AndrewSears
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

I'm all in for 3d Brick Mesh availability to use or compare with Tri elements

I'm all in for 3d Brick Mesh availability to use or compare with Tri elements

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

Hi,

its funny to see the guys that work at AD propose ideas in here. 

Just go to the PM of the product and tell him to do it...

Not everything needs to take 3 years of development and Kudos for doing whats needed 🙂  

I think we will also need Midplane Mesh like in Sim Mechanical..

Dan

AndrewSears
Community Manager

Hey Dan,

We are usually only creating IdeaStation posts on behalf of a customer.  This was suggested to me over an email so I added this to make it easier for the customer.

It is a funny thing when the customers voice their opinions about what new features they do or do not care about.  We do a lot of user testing to find out what people are looking for in the product and what they do not see value in.  Most of the time we have the correct data but sometimes we are surprised to hear that features we find important are not that important to the customers.  Even though I created this post for a customer, the idea is not to push my desires for the product direction in the customer space.  We see that this is a highly voted idea and are looking into this.  Believe me though, PM's (Product Managers) know what features need to be included and internally we are always asking PM's for more additions to the products than the customers ask for.  We all, internal and external, ask PM's for more and they know this is important to customers.  We are working on more of the core improvements/enhancements to In-CAD.  We have a lot of great plans for the product and hope to start sharing these new features on the beta site within a few months to collect customer feedback.  

For future note, please add specifics in the IdeaStation posts to support why this feature is important to you.  What problems do these posted ideas solve for your business?  What additions to a basic request (like this one) are necessary for you to be successful?  We can't put in all of the ideas because that would skew customer perception and we would be doing exactly what you just commented on.  We need you to tell us why this is important to you and your business.

We are researching mid-plane mesh creation.  We are not allowed to promise anything (dates, features, etc.) so stay tuned.  For now, you can vote for it here.  Midplane

Andy 

carlson
Advocate

Agreed that this is a desirement.  Customer asks for quad mesh over tet.

tsvetelina.yordanova
Participant

Definitely useful to have quad elements.

kenneth.gomez
Participant

I am definitely in for having QUAD and HEX elements. Each time the mainstream FEA companies come and speak to me, they laugh at my Tetrahedral model.

If Autodesk wants more analyst to start using Nastran-InCAD in Inventor, having QUAD and HEX elements is a big buy in.

marko
Advocate

It would be useful for Autodesk to add brick elements in Nastran In-CAD (Simulation Mechanical has those available):

martin_madaj
Advocate

Hi guys,

this idea has been here for more than three years and is the second most voted one in In-CAD idea station (valid by now). And it is still UNDER REVIEW...?

Best regards,
Martin Madaj.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's put it this way: If Autodesk wants people to take its Nastran product seriously, then it must bring it up to the level of a serious FE analysis tool (such as Ansys or Abaqus). Without HEX (brick) element,  plane stress/strain quadrilateral element (including incompatible mode formulation),  among other things,  Nastran InCAD will remain comparable to Solidworks simulation. That is to say, not a serious FE analysis product!

marko
Advocate

The fact that the CHEXA is probably available to the solver (which they acquired) but not through the In-CAD pre-processor is annoying and should be changed ASAP.

Greetings, Marko

martin_madaj
Advocate

I don't understand that too... By the way, four years have passed and nothing has changed though...

marko
Advocate

Exactly, time goes by and nothing happens!

Autodesk discontinued Algor (aka Simulation Mechanical) which was a very useful FEA tool (beyond anything currently available within portfolio) and they aquired NEi Nastran, which was used by many industry pre and post processors (FEMAP among others) and that even had explicit solver incorporated (are people at Autodesk aware of the benefits of having both implicit and explicit solvers under the same roof)! Very little of that technology is currently available through In-CAD, which is currently below par. NEi had CHEXA, so the element is already there.

Greetings, Marko

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish they could release some sort of a road map for their product improvement. It's been two years since they had indicated they would incorporate Plane stress/strain elements, and still nothing!  Given, as you guys have pointed out, that  capabilities already exist within Nastran (NEi in this case), and Autodesk having acquired Algor, one would think they should be able to leverage the pre-post codes of Algor and develop appropriate interface InCAD).  There is great potential here, sad that it is not being harnessed. I was thinking about using this to teach my FEA courses, but not with the current limitations.

jaap_vander_heide
Enthusiast

With Simulation Mechanical gone, just what is Autodesk waiting for? Or should users try to figure out how to do the pre- and postprocessing with a third party application and then use the solver as a command line tool?

I sure hope that is not what Autodesk is aiming for. Please beef up NINCAD.

marko
Advocate

Preprocessing in Inventor is currently very poor. Way below a decent FE mesher (and I should know).

satVZG2H
Observer

Yes! Go and peek at NX-Nastran and their meshing capabilities. 

Edoardo.Baima
Enthusiast

Yep, i'm not an expert here, just a reseller.

A customer coming from Simulation Mechanical trying to adopt Nastran In-CAD as a substitute to it just had a "colorfoul" reaction to the fact that brick meshs are missing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report