Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Mesh Convergence Error

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
luca.albertazzi
2207 Views, 9 Replies

Solid Mesh Convergence Error

Hi,

in the result environment I see there is the possibility to select the Solid mesh convergence error.

If the max error was, for examples 0,03 this would mean that in that point I'll have a 3% of error?

thx

luca

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi @luca.albertazzi,

For Solids

A stress error of 0.012 means a Normal Stress convergence within 0.2%

A stress error of 0.030 means a Normal Stress convergence within 2%

For Shells

A stress error of 0.015 means a Von Mises convergence within 2%

For solids it may be fairly time intensive to get a Normal Stress convergence of 0.2%, so looking for 2% convergence may be better. These numbers should also be applicable to contact problems. I always recommend customers perform a mesh sensitivity/convergence study on their models, this value should quickly give you an idea if you need to go further in those studies.

Regards,

Andrew

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 10

Hi Andrew, thx for the answer. Yes, I'm interested in a mesh convergence study. Anyway I don't understand where these numbers come from. Why: - stress error 0.012 implies Normal Stress convergence within 0.2%; - stress error 0.030 implies Normal Stress convergence within 2%? It doesn't seem linearly proportional. I was expected that 0.03 implies 3%. No? thx luca
Message 4 of 10

Hi Andrew, thx for the answer.

Yes, I'm interested in a mesh convergence study.

Anyway I don't understand where these numbers come from.

Why:

- stress error 0.012 implies Normal Stress convergence within 0.2%;

- stress error 0.030 implies Normal Stress convergence within 2%?

It doesn't seem linearly proportional. I was expected that 0.03 implies 3%. No?

thx

luca

p.s.: I re-post the answer because it has lost the original format.

Message 5 of 10

Hi Luca,

I agree it can be a bit confusing. The stress error is calculating from the following equation:

GUID-0477DFF7-FD31-43D4-8793-FBD6B8E8B44D.png

I'll believe that the correlation of value to convergence was determined by testing a variety of models, but I'll have to dig through my notes on the topic when it came up last.

Regards,

Andrew

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 6 of 10

Ok now It's clear the reason of the non-linearity.

But if it's like this, how can I know which is the convergence (in %) associated to the stress error that I see in the results?

thx

luca

Message 7 of 10

Hi Andrew,

have you some news for me? It would be really appreciated.

thx

Luca

Message 8 of 10

Hi Andrew,

if I get a solid mesh convergence error of 0,134 MPa? To which percent error it implies? I didn't understand the formula You wrote on Your post.

Could You explain it a little bit?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
John_Holtz
in reply to: domas.valiukas

Hi Luca,

Personally, I think there is no correlation between the "solid mesh convergence error" and any percent error, but I do not have the theoretical background to understand what the solid mesh convergence error is doing with all of the calculations. I have attached the complete calculation method in case someone has the background to explain it.

In my opinion, the "error" can only be used to indicate that the stress is continuous from one element to the next (and therefore the results have presumably converged) or that the stress is not continuous (and the results have not converged). I wrote "presumably converged" because there are always cases where the error is 0 at a node, yet the results can be inaccurate. (Nodes along a symmetry plane of a full model should have a convergence error of 0 because the results are symmetric, but this does not guarantee that the results are accurate.)

By the way: the mesh convergence error should not have any units, assuming that the attached paper is correct. The results are a stress divided by a stress, so they should be unit-less. This issue has been reported to development.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 10 of 10

Hi John,

thanks for the explanation, I have appreciated it.

I hope this document will be added as part of the Manual because it is not so easy without a guideline.

Thx again

Luca

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report