Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical properties changing on their own

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
482 Views, 3 Replies

Physical properties changing on their own

Hello,

I'm having problems with defining material properties and thickness of shell elements. As you can see in the attached video every time I open the material definition it will do some shenanigans with the E-modulus, this is also the case with shell thickness. I have tried to change analysis units to SI (model units are mm) but the weird behavior persists.

This is very unnerving since I get all sorts of errors and problems with running the analysis, thickness disappears and E-modulus change does result in excessive deformations.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I think that  both of those problems are related to the Windows regional settings; in particular, what character is used for the decimal symbol. (Usually a period "." or comma ",") See if the descriptions in these two articles solve the problem for you.

Let me know if you have any suggested changes for either of those articles.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thank you,

changing regional settings did not solve this but changing the units in the Inventor model itself to meters through Tools>Document Settings>Units seems to work.

What is strange is if my inventor file is in mm the window of the material properties displays the unit as MPa so you would assume that it has adopted millimeters but alas it doesn't. 

Maybe this is stated within your links but I get page not found error (might be because I'm posting from a private account since I don't have access to our corporation support account at the moment).Change Units.jpg

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Sorry for the two problems: the ones in the software, and the ones with my links! Here are correct links to the articles:

This old saying comes to mind and seems relevant in this situation: "To Err is Human; To Really Foul Things Up Requires a Computer".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report