Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

impact analysis failure - tube explodes :-0

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
50h9j
504 Views, 3 Replies

impact analysis failure - tube explodes :-0

My impact analysis runs OK through the impact and into the bounce until the tube (shell elements) explodes in the middle.

I am getting low figures for work convergence, e.g. 0.0

I can't see any logical reason why the central region should behave differently when the adjoining regions are colinear.

---------------
Autodesk Inventor 2017 Certified Professional
Inventor Professional 2019, Nastran In-CAD 2019, 3ds Max 2019
Windows 10, 64 bit
HP Z800 X5680 16x 3.33GHz NVidia Quadro 5000
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Andrew.Sartorelli
in reply to: 50h9j

Hi @50h9j,

While desirable, its not necessary to have Work, Load, and Displacement. You can go into non-linear setup and untoggle Work. As long as you have Work and Load, Lord and Displacement, or Work and Displacement you should be fine. Always best to have at minimum two, and never just displacement.

It looks like the displacements are being exaggerated, once the analysis finishes go and make sure to look at the model with absolutely displacements. When the analysis is running it will always use a scale factor, unfortunately there is no way to adjust this setting. As far as the cause, it could be buckling as it does appear to be a long slender object.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 4
50h9j
in reply to: Andrew.Sartorelli

Thanks Andrew.

I will try toggling work as you suggest. I only mentioned it because it stood out to me in the results.

Yes displacements are exaggerated - I have only assumed that it is this region that is causing the solution failure.

I am curious as to the idea of buckling. Understand why this could be the cause of component failure but is there a way to stop the analysis before model failure? Or recover the analysis results up to the point of failure?

---------------
Windows 10, 64 bit
Message 4 of 4
50h9j
in reply to: Andrew.Sartorelli

@Andrew.Sartorelli

The answer was to decrease the mesh size in the shell. There was an area of bad mesh that was causing the problem.

bad-mesh.jpg

---------------
Windows 10, 64 bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report