Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify Edge or Face?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
RichardOliver4462
471 Views, 2 Replies

Identify Edge or Face?

Is it possible to identity the number of a face or edge? The faces and edges are all given numbers e.g. Face <23> or Edge <17> when they are selected to add a constraint or a force and listed in the selected items dialogue box. If later you wish to removed one of these items from the list how can you find out the number of that item? If you could interrogate the move and find the Edge of Face numbers they could easily be deleted from the dialogue box - is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi Richard,

Lots of good questions from everyone recently Smiley Happy

As far as I know, Inventor does not show the face or edge ID. But I think that one of these methods will help with what you are trying to do. Let's take the example of deleting a constraint from the model.

Naturally, you can select the constraint on the model, and it highlights the entry in the browser. Then you can Edit the constraint. So this makes it easy to get the correct entry from the many constraints listed in the browser.

After the dialog opens, you can do one of these:

Selected Entities

1. The "Selected Entities" box on the constraint dialog lists all of the places where that constraint is applied to the model. If you click one of the entries, it will highlight it on the model. (I find this hard to see in some cases because the color changes from "blue 1" to "blue 2" which is too subtle for me to see in most cases.)

Select Other

I just discovered this trick while trying to find a solution to your post.

1. If you want to delete the constraint from a face, hold the mouse on an edge on that face (but do not click it)
  2. Right-click > Select Other
  3. Use the pop-up list to find that Face that has the constraint you want to delete. It will highlight when you mouse over the correct one.
  4. Select that face, and it will be removed from the "Selected Entities" dialog!
  5. If you want to delete the constraint from an edge, hold the mouse on a vertex at one end of the edge. Then you can right-click > Select Other.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3

Thanks John,

The Select Other 'trick' does seem to work, for loads as well -  and will prove most helpful! - A shame you can not just click on the item you wish to remove without the need for the Select Other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report