Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting with stamps creates weird coloured noise and wet edges

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
844 Views, 5 Replies

Painting with stamps creates weird coloured noise and wet edges

Hi everyone,
I'm new to mudbox 2012 and not that talented with technical stuff, so I hope my questions are detailed enough for you to help me.
I'm just figuring out how to use stamps for painting textures.
I want to get a painted look for my objects by working with different stamps.

So I converted some of my photoshop brushes but in mudbox they create weird coloured noise and something that lookes like wet edges. Especially when circling around on the same spot. The dodge tool makes them even more visible.
Two of the mudbox stamps behave similarly, the plain white square and the rectangle.

The other mudbox default stamps are working just fine.

My workflow: I imported my obj, subdivided it some levels, assigned a mudbox material with a colour complementary to my final coice of colour and then painted it all over with a base colour on a new paint layer(1024x1024 pixels, 16 bit Tiff).
When I start to paint on that grounded layer with my converted stamps the problems appears.
It seems like these brushes don't cover the area properly with one colour, but bringing darker pixels and even green and red pixels to the texture.

Now I'm wondering, if there's something wrong with my conversion from photoshop, I followed the intructions of this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BRlLR5UKE
Basically inverting the brushes and saving them as 8bit pngs.
I also tried to change the different stamp properties, like stamp spacing and strengh in mudbox, but nothing would work. The artifacts still appear.

Furthermore I noticed that my mesh - imported from maya - is smaller than the default mudbox meshes. Could that affect the stamp problems in any way?

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really love to use my ps brushes in mudbox but I don't know what to do about this noise.

Many thanks in advance.

Ps I'm working with mudbox2012 64bit, on Windows7 64bit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: Anonymous

open up a mudbox stamp in Photoshop and take a close look how its done...
think you need to have a a transparent white .tif image... no background no alpha channel....

and those tearing effect is much stronger if you paint in 8bit...
i paint most of my stuff in 16bit...

and yes if you mehs is really small mudbox will do strange things...
and you have to use the square falloff to get this working like it should...
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you oglu for your fast reply. Sorry for answering so delayed!!

I checked out evereything you recommended.
I took a closer look at the mudbox stamps and converted my PS brushes accordingly.
I also painted my textures on 16 bit Tiffs and checked my mesh size, but it seems to be big enough compared to the human body base mesh in mudbox.

BUT unfortunately I still get artifacts;
even with most of the mudbox stamps and now also with the standard brush without an assigned stamp. I'm at a loss at the moment... 😞

Why do i get different colours than my brown tone?
My theory is that mudbox adds colours in a different way then usual. 100% brown + 100% brown isn't creating 100% brown but darker and sometimes noisy coloured tones.

Do you have any idea what else could be the cause for this problem or how to fix this?

btw on my attached pictures 2 and 3 you might note that I put the minimum strength for my pen pressure on 100 %. With a lower value it's not that obvious but I get artifacts too.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Message 4 of 6
Christoph_Schaedl

If its an issue for you report it as bug,... In the mud help menue report a problem... I dont care much about, i like the extra dirt i get for free... 🙂
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

In my experience this is due to the stamp images themselves being 8 bit, convert them to 16 and they should function correctly. I dont know if this is a limitation of 8 bit stamps or is due to some kind of bug in mudbox, seems like the latter to me though.
Message 6 of 6
Christoph_Schaedl

i have done some research on this problem....
and im able to solfe it... but i think that should be imporved from the mudbox side...

i opened up the bw_dirt2 stamp in PS and duplicated the layer until every pixel has 100% opacity...
and now if i use the square fallof i have much less tearing...

seems that mud has problems with transparency in the stamp and in the falloff... wich is bad...
i will report a bug...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report