Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox sucks up all my RAM

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
VictorvdBrink
1199 Views, 10 Replies

Mudbox sucks up all my RAM

So I am pretty much desperate at this point...

I am very new to Mudbox. I recently installed the student version of Mudbox 2016.

I have made a terrain mesh in Maya consisting of 1000 poly's, I exported it as an .fbx and then imported it in Mudbox because I wanted to create more detail. 

However pretty much anything I try to do, causes Mudbox to suck up all 16gb of my RAM memory and crash. I have a friend who uses Mudbox aswell and can easily work with several million poly's, however I can barely manage 100.000 without crashing. 

He has pretty much the same specs as me aswell. 

I also might be worth mentioning that if I pick one of Autodesk's standard meshes that you can choose from when opening Mudbox I seem to encounter these issues far less quickly. 

Please help me, I really need this to work quick. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I'm just bumping this because I really, really need a solution for this. If anybody can help I'd be really apprecaited. 

Message 3 of 11

Ok I've solved the problem by removing mudbox 2016 and installing mudbox 2015. However now I've run into a diffrent problem. For some reason the smooth tool doesn't seem to work properly. Infact it seems to do the exact oppesite of smooting, it seems to pull out the mesh more than smooth it down. 

Message 4 of 11
smarakesch
in reply to: VictorvdBrink

Hi Victor, try to press ctrl wile using the brush ... that should invert it the funcion.

Message 5 of 11
VictorvdBrink
in reply to: smarakesch

Thanks for your reply but that is not really the problem. The problem is that the smooth function just doesn't seem to effecty my mesh very much, no matter wether I inverse the effect or not. It just doesn't do anything. 

Message 6 of 11

Hi VictorvdBrink,

To your first issue:

Mudbox uses alot of VRAM (video card memory), not just system memory. You want to use a video card with as much VRAM as possible (my preferences is nVidia's Quadro series, but nVidia gaming cards should be ok too). The more polys you subdivide to, the more VRAM you need. I recommand 4GB or more, but with 2GB you should be able to easily do a million+ poly model. Also the speed of the GPU is important as well. Without knowing your system specs, I can't say much more. 

As to your second issue, perhaps your smooth tool needs the strength increased? Sometimes when I'm trying to smooth, it doens't seam to work. So I have to manually select the smooth tool, and adjust the settings of it. 

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 7 of 11

Hey Matthew,

Sorry for the the late reply, I was using mudbox for a project that I finished now without actually doing much sculpting. The thing is that a friend of mine who actually has a less powerfull PC was able to sculpt fine with many more polygons than what I was using, so I was at a loss why I was struggling with only a few hunderd thousand poly's while he was sculpting smoothly with several millions. 

My second issue I never really managed to solve. I understand that you can increase/.decrease the strength of all the sculpting tools, but mine just wasn't doing much of anything at any strength. 

Mudbox as a whole was just acting weird, maybe its a driver thing maybe its because I'm using windows 10 I don't know. But my first experience with it wasn't too good. It just doesn't really seem like stable software to me. If I ever start sculpting again I might make the transition to ZBrush, as most of my peers seem to like that. The reason I used Mudbox was because I was on a tight deadline and Mudbox was the only sculpting software I could aquire on short notice. 

That's college for ya

Message 8 of 11

Hi Victor:

Like an reference, I am using Mudbox 2015 with the next PC:

Intel Core i3 3,5 ghz Processor, 16GB Ram, and the worst component, that I wish to change in the near future: an Radeon 5750 1GB GDDR5.

I'm not satisfied with the GPU, have their estrange issues with Mudbox,(Like all the AMD/ATI Gpus), but I could handle meshes near 28/33 million polys,(not very super performance, but I work at conscience, using Hide/isolate meshes, making my sculpt formed by several meshes to obtain detail in a more modualr way...

Perhaps could be usefull know which Operating System are you using. I heard that Windows 10 is already problematic with several CGI apps.

I continue using,(for some days more) Win 7 64 Ultimate. But, very soon I'm going to change to win 8.1 by the momment.

Greetings:

Sergio.

Message 9 of 11

I have a laptop with he following specs:

Core i7 4720HQ 2.6GHz
16GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M
Windows 10 64bit

I know that's not what you should do hardcore sculpting on, but when I struggle with only 1 million polygons in a scene I think there's something else going on. And like I said before, I already established that a classmate of mine who has worse specs can easily run a scene with 15 million polygons. 

Perhaps I'll try sculpting in mudbox on my desktop PC some time, I have a beast videocard in there, ASUS STRIX 980ti. If that doesn't do the trick I don't know what will. But hopefully Autodesk will resolve the issue I have on my laptop in the near future. 

Message 10 of 11

Sincerely...I think that your problem is Windows 10...Autodesk have published the minimum requirements for Mudbox 2016, and in the compatible OS for windows, says clearly: "Windows 7 64 bits,(SP1), and Windows 8.1" , no mention to Windows 10.My struggle with my poor pc, starts near the 28/30 million polys.Greetings:Sergio.

https://www.facebook.com/Sergio3D2D/
Sergio Mengual

|   |
|   | |   |   |   |   |   |
| Sergio Mengual3D and Computer Graphics Training. Contact: Email: sergimen2001@yahoo.com.ar Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sergiogabriel.mengual |
| |
| Ver en www.youtube.com | Vista previa por Yahoo |
| |
|   |
Message 11 of 11
xoxoloza
in reply to: VictorvdBrink

Export from maya as OBJ, then import to Mudbox. Problem solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report