Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox Sculpt and Softimage Mental Ray Results

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
FalconCrest
352 Views, 7 Replies

Mudbox Sculpt and Softimage Mental Ray Results

I'm rendering my displacements out of Mudbox these are the Mudbox displace settings I use Smooth Target Models', 'Image Size', Method:Subdivision and Antialiasing: OFF rendering to 32-bit TIFFS and setting.

Geo Approx:
Fine
Max Displace: 5.22
Length: 1
Sharpness 3.4
SubDivision Limit: Min 0 Max 6

When I compare the results from Mudbox there not the same in Softimage !?!?!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
A.Baroody
in reply to: FalconCrest

It's hard to say without seeing a comparison.

Btw dont use sharpness. Sharpness creates facets in your model that are not smooth shaded. If you're looking for this kind of effect, then use sharpness.
Message 3 of 8
FalconCrest

The top image is from Mud the bottom Softimage, there are not even remotely close, I want to hopefully get it to as close as the Mud sculpt as possible.

Message 4 of 8
A.Baroody

They look similar. The softimage render looks lower polygon.

How did you extract your map? Was it using raytracing or subdivsions? Is your displacement map a 32bit map? Is it a vector displace or a regular displace?

Did you use the pinch tool a lot in your sculpt?
Message 5 of 8
FalconCrest

They look similar. The softimage render looks lower polygon.

How did you extract your map? Was it using raytracing or subdivsions? Is your displacement map a 32bit map? Is it a vector displace or a regular displace?

Did you use the pinch tool a lot in your sculpt?

Extracted with Subdivision with regular displacement. I tried both 32 & 16 bit displacement maps and to answer your question about using the pinch tool, yes I did use it occasionally on parts, I assume that is playing a role on the displacement ?

I can't get it much better then it is ? Maybe the render looks lower polygon because it's at a distance compared to the mud render ?
Message 6 of 8
A.Baroody

Yeah the pinch tool may be your problem.

When you use subdivision mode for extractions, pinches dont come out right if your base mesh is too far off from highest level.

What you can do is either retopo, extract with raytracing method (32bit displacements), or extract 32bit vector displacements. The vector displacements will capture the pinching.

So I would say try to do a vector displacement extraction first. Its probably the easiest and fasted fix
Message 7 of 8
FalconCrest

Yeah the pinch tool may be your problem.

When you use subdivision mode for extractions, pinches dont come out right if your base mesh is too far off from highest level.

What you can do is either retopo, extract with raytracing method (32bit displacements), or extract 32bit vector displacements. The vector displacements will capture the pinching.

So I would say try to do a vector displacement extraction first. Its probably the easiest and fasted fix

I extracted a 4K 32bit displacements and the results were a little better, but vector displacement hopefully give me accurate results. I assume on your recent WiP you posted, you used Vector maps?
Message 8 of 8
A.Baroody

Yes. Although only the most recent versions of that model are VDM. The majority of those images are using regular 32bit displacement maps. The character has 14 uv tiles... 2k res each.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report