Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox moves UVs at texture export

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1622 Views, 4 Replies

Mudbox moves UVs at texture export

Hi,

I have created a UV Atlas in Maya for four models. No UVs overlap any other:

mayaUVs.png

I export these 4 models into the same Mudbox scene and with the UV map.

I set a separate material for each model to sculpt high-poly and texture.

I'd like to keep the atlas format of the textures, so I intended merging the models layers in photoshop into a single texture. (I can't find a way to extract a channel of all models in one).

However I'm finding maya or mudbox move the UVs so the shells end up one on top of the other.

This is the eyes uv diffuse texture extracted as TIF 8-bit and how it overlaps the position of the humanoid TIF diffuse texture shells.

Eyes texture:

eyesTexture.png

humanoid texture:

humanoidTexture.png

Eyes texture on humanoid texture - layers on photoshop:

eyesTextureOnHumanoidTextureOverlap.png

I can't re-arrange these because I'd then also need to make the UV match it precisely.

I've got two questions please:

- How can i export the textures from Maya into Mudbox so the shells don't move?

- would you recommend i use the same material for all models if I want to keep the uv map/textures as an atlas? If so, is there a way to re-assign a material to a model and re-assign the textures of the old material?

Thank you for your help,

Sergio

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

My apologies, I was not using Photoshop's Edit-Paste Special - Paste in Place (but just paste).

However, even with this the shells are much closer to each other in the resulting merged texture with photoshop. Quite easy to see with the eye shells (in yellow) particularly bottom left.

Here's Mayas UV map and beneath pasted in place with Photoshop diffuse textures to get the atlas:

maya UV mapmaya UV mapphotoshop pasteInPlace separate mapsphotoshop pasteInPlace separate maps

Do the shells enlarge in mudbox, ever so slight? Do you have any recommendations to keep the sizes as built in Maya?

Thank you for your help

Sergio

Message 3 of 5
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: Anonymous

for me this looks like the edge bleeding mudbox is doing to prevent mipmapping issues...

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 4 of 5

Yes, it does look like that. You can set the bleed value in Mudbox under Windows -> Preferences -> Paint -> Edge Bleed. You can also visualize it in the UV View, if you have Render Edge Bleed turned on.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jill.ramsay

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts and pointer to control the bleed ! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report