Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox 2016 touch problems

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MI66
1251 Views, 8 Replies

Mudbox 2016 touch problems

I was eager to try out Mudbox 2016 after reading multi-touch should be functional on my Surface Pro 3 now. However it is extremely laggy/glitchy, and one-finger touch is not recognized at all: not on UI nor in the viewport. Pen input works fine with N-Trig WinTab.

I've read a similar report, but I've also read about fully smooth functionality with everything working as intended.

My Surface Pro 3 is the i5 8GB 256GB model, and I downloaded the student licensed version of Mudbox.

Due to the lag multi-touch is pretty much useless. It's as if the finger touch isn't recognized constantly. Sometimes the screen rotates instead of zooming in etc. too, and the 3-finger sweeps are almost never recognized properly. And as I said one-finger touch is completely ignored everywhere, even on UI. Touch works flawlessly on other programs.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I tried reinstalling, I'm up-to-date with all the drivers etc... Mudbox was a big factor why I bought my Surface Pro 3 in the first place, so it would be nice to finally get proper functionality. I believe this is a Mudbox problem after all, since other programs work just fine.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: MI66

problem: sh!tty intel 4400 graphics chips

solution: buy a desktop with professional graphics cards like firepro

mudbox depends on a powerful opengl card. no laptops or tablets has such power. get a desktop or use zbrush.

Message 3 of 9
MI66
in reply to: Anonymous

How would buying a desktop resolve my MULTI-TOUCH problems, lol. Unless you meant I also bundle it with a Wacom or summat to bring me multi-touch in the first place.

The actual performance of Mudbox is just fine. It's just the multi-touch that is laggy. Rendering in viewport isn't, sculpting isn't. Do you always suggest people to spend a thousand dollars more as the first solution for everything? Of course it's a good solution for people with endless budgets. And I have a desktop anyway, sculpting on Surface Pro 3 and its pen is just WAY more intuitive, and it's quite more portable than a frikkin desktop.

The problem lies somewhere else. I've read reports of flawless multi-touch behaviour on another guy's Surface Pro 3 that is the exact same model as mine, so it's not about lack of performance in the device. You could be right though that there's something wrong with the Intel HD chip in my SP3 in particular.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Did u fix the problem? I am trying Mudbox 2016 on my Surface 3 also. Touch gestures work, but 1 finger gesture to rotate is not working.

Message 5 of 9
MI66

Nope, never got it to work. I came to the conclusion that it's faulty drivers by Microsoft or faulty hardware (I've had other kinds of touch screen problems in the past too although mainly it works fine). No support from Autodesk's side is to be expected either. Incredibly annoying that nobody knows / gives a ****.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

That is just..... sad. **** it.

Message 7 of 9
MI66

Installed Ext 1 with grand hopes, no luck.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hey Mikael, have a look at this program: http://www.tabletpcmouse.com
Using the programs controls to control the camera in Mudbox there is no lag at at.
Message 9 of 9
MI66

Hey! As it happens I was JUST checking my email for the download link they sent me from tabletpcmouse.com when I noticed an email about your reply to this thread... A crazy coincidence, eager to try out the program! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report