Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modeling / sculpting workflow

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
185 Views, 4 Replies

modeling / sculpting workflow

hi there.

I'm new on the forum and quit new to character modeling, i've allready finished one character (you can see it here : http://www.behance.net/gallery/Katwoo/2383486 ) for wich i work directly with the final pose ( i was planning just to make a rough but decided to finish it so it takes me a lot of time because can't use de symetric tools etc... ) and without any scuplting software.

I'm trying to create a second character but i want to be able to change his position and i want to use a sculting soft to add some more details, but i want to create/manage the textures in photoshop / C4D ( has i'm used to this softwares).
So i've some questions about the process.

here is what i've done :

1 - T pose low poly in a classical 3D software (C4D here)

2 - Sculpting high poly in mudbox

3 - normal / displacement map creation

Now i ask myself : should i ...

... make the final pose in mudbox BUT :
- i wont be able to manage my textures in C4D
- i will have to start from my t pose for each pose i want to make

... import the map in C4D > rigg in C4D so in can easely change the pose, make the textures, etc. all in C4D BUT :
- how will the displacement map react - as i do it from a T pose - if i make my character sit on the floor ( for example ). how will the joints react.
- if some glitches appears, should i rework the map in mudbox or reimport the whole in mudbox to correct it or is there any other process ?

... i think you have understand my problem...

i know there is not just ONE good way to do it but as i've seen a lot of excellent work here i'm sure some people can answer.

thx in advance for your responses.

pierre

ps : sorry for my bad english ....
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: Anonymous

thats a good question... its not easy cause its not allways the same workflow...
but i would say if your lowres animation mesh is high enough you wont have that much problems with displacement maps... the trick is to find the balance between low easy to animate and high enough to support the displacement...
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

hi,

i was thinking about posing my character in mudbox as my goal is not to animate ( my goal is hires still image ) because rigging and skinning will take a lot of time (first time i will do this) for a poor use of this (juste the pose)... but i may be wrong ...

the bad thing is i will have to modify each item my character (some clothes are not merged with the body) unless there is a tool that let you modify differetns objects at the same time in mudbox.

tell me what you think about it.

Did you work at ubisoft ? i notice we have lots of contacts / friend that i know from ubisoft in common on linkedin !

anyway, thx for your answer !!
Message 4 of 5
Christoph_Schaedl

its no problem to pose more than one object in mudbox...
just create a bone for the body and use the weight (lasso) tool to assign also the other objects to the bone...

nope im not working for ubi...
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

ok ! thank you for the tip.
i'm beginner with mudbox, just made some sculpt tests and love it.
i will try to find how to correctly use the bone tool.
thx again !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report