Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement Maps Settings to max in Mental Ray

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
642 Views, 25 Replies

Displacement Maps Settings to max in Mental Ray

I have some problems with displacement maps, but I finally take out some solutions, I hope this small tutorial will help for max users, enjoy. This is a test of some mountains I've made so check it out is very simple displacement maps, you can also share more information to encourage knowledge also as best quality in your artworks and artworks of other colleges

Part 1

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/RubenDrakkar/Mudbox%20tutorial/part1.jpg

I model a low res, a basic rough of the mountains I am going to use.

Part 2

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/RubenDrakkar/Mudbox%20tutorial/part2.jpg

after that I unwrap it. You have to WATCH OUT that every vertex in the model has to be inside of this 0,1 coordinates in the Unwrap Browse, that is what mudbox is going to use for generating displacement maps and normals maps, so you have to watch out for this is very important that the unwrap be very very well work before going into mudbox, so take your time to unwrap it well.

Part 3

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/RubenDrakkar/Mudbox%20tutorial/part3.jpg

Checker test of proper textures applied, and when I feel satisfied, I export a new OBJ of the mountain with the unwrap information in Mudbox.

Part 4

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/RubenDrakkar/Mudbox%20tutorial/part4.jpg

YESSS Mudbox modelling tools, I start modeling peacefully and happily with now worries. This is the beautifull part. . .nice

Part 5

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/RubenDrakkar/Mudbox%20tutorial/part5.jpg

I use the settings that you see in this picture. Make sure you have smooth cords ON so you don't have problems with facetaded displacement results. Also make sure that the low mesh resolution target is at LEVEL 0, but you can also try other levels, in this case I'll use LEVEL 0. Set your high res mesh target at the latests subdivision you have, in this case is at LEVEL 6.

Click at Creat Displacement map Icon and put a name to your displacement map file. Make sure that in the Search Distance is a number calculated by mudbox itself we are going to use this number later, so remind this number, also mudbox make a cache of the baked texture so you can go back and see the number again.

Put the resolutions at 2048 x 2048 and displacement map at 16 bit, and then START OPERATION. Wait a few moments. . .

CONTINUE IN THE NEXT THREAD
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

boys problem solved..after about 5 hours of testing I got it 😄 my exported model was too lowpoly.. I subdivided it once and whoala 😄 problem solved and render ok
Message 22 of 26
RockinHorea

Great news! another thing to mention is that in my experience, the normal map can smooth the surface pretty well, but not always perfect
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous

I have been trying to get the model modeled after 3ds max tutorial - to work with displacement map with no luck. I followed this tutorial and made the displacement map and normal map from Mudbox with same setting described here.

I just brushed something to the model and it looks like this:
koti.mbnet.fi/ttb/pic3.jpg

However, when I place the displacement map with extrusion strenght 33, which I got from Mudbox, it looks like this when rendered with Mentalray:
koti.mbnet.fi/ttb/pic1.jpg

I also read that if your maps are 32bit it takes the values from the tiff file, but that doesn't work either:
koti.mbnet.fi/ttb/pic2.jpg

So, what's wrong?
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous

Hey man it looks that you dont unwrap this proper try to make the unwrap well. Also I know that mental ray does not take TIFF files nicely, try instead TGA or some other format file

Rubens
Message 25 of 26
maxaristov

Hey man it looks that you dont unwrap this proper try to make the unwrap well. Also I know that mental ray does not take TIFF files nicely, try instead TGA or some other format file

Rubens

Mental Ray in 3dsmax7, 8 and 9 works with 32 bit TIFF files without any problems and you should not have to change extrusion strength or anything.
Check this post for more information:
www.mudbox3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473
Message 26 of 26
Anonymous

Hi!

I have one very specific question. This mountains case works really fine, but what about when you have different material channels applied to the object? One for the head and one for the body, for example? If I use one single displacement map for the whole body it will probably not be ok in a 2048x2048 map. Can someone help me in this question? Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report