Moving to Subscription
As Autodesk continues to move toward a single business model, feel free to use this forum to ask questions about the upcoming maintenance plan changes.

Moving to Subscription

Post 1 of 14
Accepted Solution

How is this going to affect education customers?

294 Views, 13 Replies
03-06-2017 09:02 AM

We're higher-ed, and as surprised as we were to get free license grants from Autodesk, we're concerned as the budget was adjusted in expectation of continued license grants. I tried asking support and they just sent me to the forums - any thoughts?

Hi @shinds and @helpdesk,   even though your free educational licenses are based on a perpetual model (they are not subscription-based), there is no impact to the offer of free access to Autodesk software for qualifying students, teachers and academic institutions.  We will continue with this program as is and as described on the education home page on autodesk.com.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concern.

Regards,
Felice

Post 2 of 14

Re: How is this going to affect education customers?

03-06-2017 09:23 AM in reply to: helpdesk

I have the same question on this and was requested by Autodesk to post to the discussion group for answers. We currently have free educational licenses and need to know for budgeting purposes with this changeover to subscription based services after us and how much with these subscription services cost for the products that we use.

Post 3 of 14

03-06-2017 11:37 AM in reply to: helpdesk

Educational license are not impacted at this time. But I can't say 100% that wI'll change in the future. It will continue to be free until it changes.

Mark Lancaster

, Certified Professional in Autodesk Inventor 2014/2015/Exam & AutoCAD 2014 and not an Autodesk Employee

Installation | Autodesk Virtual Agent | Autodesk Register Once | Activation/Chat | Microsoft FixitDesktop Sub-Grant User Access | Error 1603 | Autodesk Med Resolu LibrayInventor Reset | Screencast

Kudos is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Post 4 of 14

03-06-2017 11:38 AM in reply to: shinds

Hi @shinds and @helpdesk,   even though your free educational licenses are based on a perpetual model (they are not subscription-based), there is no impact to the offer of free access to Autodesk software for qualifying students, teachers and academic institutions.  We will continue with this program as is and as described on the education home page on autodesk.com.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concern.

Regards,
Felice

Felice S
Global Customer Support & Operations
Moving to Subscription | About Autodesk Subscription
Post 5 of 14

03-06-2017 11:58 AM in reply to: felice.s

@felice.s

how about you engage with other threads?

Post 6 of 14

03-06-2017 12:05 PM in reply to: denis.mujakovic

Maybe because mine wasn't hostile? When a thread *starts* that way, people aren't looking for help, they're looking for a target.

Post 7 of 14

03-06-2017 12:06 PM in reply to: felice.s

Thanks Felice, that's what I needed :)

Sorry you're getting so much flak on the forum right now :(

Post 8 of 14

03-06-2017 12:11 PM in reply to: helpdesk

@helpdesk QUOTE: "Maybe because mine wasn't hostile? When a thread *starts* that way, people aren't looking for help, they're looking for a target."

Spoken from atop the high horse of an unaffected/non-paying customer :)

Post 9 of 14

03-06-2017 12:16 PM in reply to: JabbaTheNut

1. This isn't the only site where I use Autodesk products, but it is the only *free* one.

2. I've already been through the shift to subscription for tons of other vendors. It sucks, yes, but wingeing about it on the forums won't change anything. 15%-20% of the user base would have to walk away before they'd even notice, but it probably wouldn't get them to reverse the position. The lure of an annuity stream like that is too great - predictable income > intermittent purchases. 

I don't like it, but I won't waste time beating up someone on a forum when they have nothing to do with the decision. Be nice to CSR's - if you think *you* are mad, think of the way they have to offer you scoops of **** and act like they think its tasty.

Post 10 of 14

03-06-2017 12:27 PM in reply to: helpdesk

@helpdesk I am sorry for lashing out at you.  You did not deserve that.  I let my frustration overcome my better judgement (and manners).

03-06-2017 12:36 PM in reply to: helpdesk

if there is nothing wrong about the rental system, if its so beneficial to us as to justify this sort of behaviour, why not:

- really go into detail as a rep, as to what benefits really do we get as endconsumer. because, really the points @felice.s stickied onto this thread are so genereic and nonsensical it reads like a parody. its absolute BS

- telling us in detail what is this incredible cost of maintaining two lines of licenses are?

so either this is good for us, in which case, im missing something so please illuminate me.

or this is bad for us in which case...what? dont call this the BS it is? shut up about it?

i mean you just accepted that the reps are just here to lie to us you do realize that?

im not saying we will change anything here, but i will sure as voice my opinion.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Post 12 of 14

03-06-2017 12:53 PM in reply to: helpdesk

There are no more intermittent purchases. If we have a perpetual license and ever want a new feature again, we pay yearly maintenance. The option to upgrade when you feel Autodesk has earned the money was taken away. Then the buying of a new perpetual license was taken away. There are as of now two choices, pay your yearly maint. fee to stay current or get a subscription at much higher long term cost when there are new features you want.

Now they have grabbed another stick to try and beat us into giving up our perpetual licenses for a short term discount on subscription. That discount gets us in the neighborhood of the current maint. cost. So we have to give up perpetual access to the software and by extension our creations and gain no other benefits in exchange (we get all that stuff on maint. that they are so thrilled to tell us we'll get on subscription). You can bet your house the shareholders will be (already?) insisting we pay the same monthly/yearly subscription price ASAP to line their pockets. This 2 or 3 year guarantee of price locks means nothing. Just look at the all stick and no carrot policies of Autodesk of late, there is no way I'd trust them at this point to continue a large discount to those of us that laid out thousands of dollars before they got this bright idea of holding our data hostage for continued payments.

I'm like many others, I love 3ds Max and Mudbox. I've played with most of the alternatives over the years and nothing feels like home as Max does. The people who actaully make this software have my thanks and respect. The higher ups have been making things less like home for years, it has only gotten worse. The pace at which these anti-customer decisions come has only gotten faster. 

I see the CAD guys say don't worry, use a viewer if you need your files later. Well us M&E guys (Max, Maya, Mudbox, and lets not forget the dead and buried Paint*, Effect*, Edit*, Combustion, Toxic) don't have that fall back.

I've already said, but it bears repeating. I'll pay my maintenance fees as long as I can financially justify it. I'll then use my then current perptural licenses until I find a new "home". 

Post 13 of 14

03-06-2017 01:26 PM in reply to: JabbaTheNut

I get it, I was pretty miffed after my first quote for adobe creative cloud when they forced it :| - 60% price increase, fewer seats, etc. 

It's all good - at this point I don't have the energy to get bent out of shape, I'd rather put the energy into figuring out how to make it work :)

I really hope, for everyone's sake, that if the price goes, up, documentation quality and deployment tools get better. 

Post 14 of 14

03-06-2017 07:03 PM in reply to: helpdesk

helpdesk wrote:

Maybe because mine wasn't hostile? When a thread *starts* that way, people aren't looking for help, they're looking for a target.

My thread isn't hostile either, it just contains a couple of very specific questions. No Autodesk engagement so far, but maybe somebody's researching the answers.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post