Moving to Subscription
As Autodesk continues to move toward a single business model, feel free to use this forum to ask questions about the upcoming maintenance plan changes.

Moving to Subscription

Post 1 of 4
Accepted Solution

ADN subscription: How do I support customers on old versions?

253 Views, 3 Replies
03-07-2017 01:22 AM

For the record, I replied to the notification email with this question and got no response.

from the ADN software request portal ...
Your Development Software Request includes access to the current release and 3 releases back 

How do I test AutoCAD plugins on older versions of AutoCAD? My clients are legally allowed to use these versions, how can I legally test the software I write for them? As a workaround I could use the retail perpetual licenses I have bought in previous years but that probably violates the subscription license term and ins therefore illegal. That workaround is obviously not an option for ADN customers who don't have a long history of paying for retail licenses.

What is the solution here?
- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADfindREPLACE.com

Here is the detailed official response I received (because I don't see why it needs to be a secret)...

Under Subscription we will only support and provide the current release plus 3 releases back.

Sorry but we are no longer able to provide perpetual license access.

Post 2 of 4

Re: ADN subscription: How do I support customers on old versions?

03-07-2017 10:56 AM in reply to: CADbloke

Hi @CADbloke, thanks for your question.  Our ADN program manager will contact you with a more detailed response.

Regards,
Felice

Felice S
Global Customer Support & Operations
Moving to Subscription | About Autodesk Subscription
Post 3 of 4

03-07-2017 03:49 PM in reply to: felice.s

Here is the detailed official response I received (because I don't see why it needs to be a secret)...

Under Subscription we will only support and provide the current release plus 3 releases back.

Sorry but we are no longer able to provide perpetual license access.

- - - - - - -
Post 4 of 4

03-07-2017 05:07 PM in reply to: CADbloke

This is what hurts

• I cannot legally support customers who are legally using their software to run my software. :( Who the hell does it hurt if I fire up an old version every now and then so I can crash it?
  • The announcement felt like an ambush of confusion and obfuscation followed by a lot of scrambling to appease the madding crowd. The discounts were mentioned in very hazy terms like "up to 60%" and involved complicated, multiple-step formulas, ironically with a conspicuous lack of specifics. You know what we pay now, surely you can run a script to work out what we will pay in the future and give us actual numbers instead of a math test.
  • This will be controversial: I don't really care about a price increase, I care about the breach of my trust and forced loss of choice. Compared to many other business models, using something like AutoCAD to make a living has quite low overheads.
  • Probably also controversial: asking Autodesk what their pricing will be more than 3 years from now is pointless, really. 
- - - - - - -
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post