Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequential flow analysis possiblity in Moldflow

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mulyeashay
475 Views, 3 Replies

Sequential flow analysis possiblity in Moldflow

Hi,

I am using the Software for the first time and I want to understand if there is a possiblity of performing a mold flow Analysis on two parts which would be joined to each other.For the purpose of clarity I would call the two parts A and B.Part A(say a base plate) had fibers in it and it is created using injection molding process.It is allowed to cool for sometime and after say x seconds  I create rib like structure on A. So my question here is does Moldflow provide a possiblity that I integrate these two processes into one analysis so that I vary the Parameters and study their effects.

For the part A I have already determined the different physical properties i.e is the resultant form fibers and Matrix.

The ultimate aim of the study is to see the warpage and effect of various process parameters.

I hope I have been clear in my articulation.Any comments/insights would be apppreciated.

Regards

Ashay

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

If I'm reading your question right, you would like to run this as a 2-shot.  You want to shoot the fiber material onto part A, let it cool in the mold and then shoot the 2nd material onto it.

You can do this in Moldflow.  The tutorials in the help section can walk you through the set up, they are pretty helpful. If the link below doesn't get you there just search for "2 shot" or "overmolding" in the help section.  Just hit the "F1" key to get you to the help menu and then type 2 shot in the search box.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MFIA/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-B445845C-4CE9-406F-A20A-C9C4538E819B

I hope this helps,

George

Message 3 of 4
p.poszwa
in reply to: mulyeashay

Hello,

It's two-shot sequentional overmolding and it's available in Moldflow Insight Standard or higher.

Message 4 of 4
mulyeashay
in reply to: mulyeashay

Hello George,

Thank you for your quick Response.Yes, it is what you have understood.I am trying to implement the case provided in the tutorial for my study.

However,the material for the first component is thermoset.A quick search through tutorials showed me that I should be using reactive molding process to use thermoset.I am using a thermoset which is not available in the material database and I want to study the effects of fibre orientation at the end of the process.How do I incorporate that in my study?

Also, in the tutorial it is mentioned that they have an underlying assumption that

"The overmolding stage on the second cavity uses a different material from the first analysis, and the first component temperatures are used as the initial temperatures".

In my case the Initial temperature of the second cavity needs to be exlicitly stated,but acording to above statement it would be taken implicitly. Is my understanding of the stated sentence correct?

I am running a dummy run with some pre defined materials and keeping the process Settings more or less same as default.I would like to hear your thoughts on These Points.

Thanks again!

Regards

Ashay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report