Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orthotropic properties

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Roman.krumpholz1
512 Views, 4 Replies

Orthotropic properties

Hello, 

can someone explain me, which physical size is meant by Vx, Vy, Vz in the Orthotropic property menu. 

I want to give my inserts special material properties which aren´t deposited in the material data bank...
I gues it is a kind of flow rate but i´m not sure about... because the value range looks like a vector...

i attached a screenshot of the menu..

Thanks for your help
Romanorthotrope Materialdaten.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi @Roman.krumpholz1

Lets see if I can give you an answer to this question.

First I should say that this answer is based on my knowledge on orthotropic materials and not based on what our solver is doing with this information. This quetion is too technical and we do not have documented.

The meaning of V is vector, and you have two vectors because is the information needed to rotate the orthotropic properties in space (the third vector is perperdicular to the plane defined by the other two vectors). Also, these vectors are unity vectors, therefore the range [-1:1].

The sense of these vectors is that the solver can rotate the orthotropic properties to orientate them with the global coordinate system. Ususally, such characterizations are already done in the GCS and therefore the vectors are left empty.

I hope it helps!

Cheers,

Javier

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Javier Jubierre
Message 3 of 5

Hello Javier, 

it does, now i understand :)! 

thank you for your fast respond !

Best wishes

Roman

Message 4 of 5

Hello Javier, 

it does, now i understand :)! 

thank you for your fast respond !

Best wishes

Roman

Message 5 of 5

@Roman.krumpholz1 

Thank you for your post. I would like to know about orthotropic properties. Could you please tell me how you get these properties or analytical formula to calculate the same.

Your help will be really appreciated.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report