Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Melt polymer volume in Manifold system

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
620 Views, 7 Replies

Melt polymer volume in Manifold system

Hi everyone,

We are trying to use same parameters in both moldflow and injection machine, so we have modeled IMM properties in Moldflow.

I took succesful IMM process parameters, in moldflow it has resulted with short shot.

Should i thought that moldflow used volume for manifold and we got short shot, is it possible?

Best Regards

Levent

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
madhukeshwart
in reply to: Anonymous

If part is in production use absolute ram speed profile and exact machine details for injection molding machine, derive exact v/p switch over time,

and cushion details . Try to replicate as much as possible. Surely you will have similar results as production

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

@Anonymous try to get the flow rate they are using in the machine along with the ram speed profile. with the flow rate & standard molding parameters they have used in the machine will get the closer results might not be 100% but 85-90% closer results you will get. because Moldflow is a pure injection molding machine without any machine loss. but the normal Injection wont be same, need to consider the energy loss in the machine with the give parameters.

Message 4 of 8
PascalGosset

Hello,

By my side, when I apply the IMM settings in Moldflow, the simulation fills the part clearly before what I notice in reality.

I think it is because the compressibility of the material is underestimate in the cavity and in the runners.

Sometimes the volume really injected is the double than the calculation predicts.

I guess the contrary is possible.

In the material data, look at the tab "Rheological Properties"/ "Viscosity Model Coefficients".

In it, there is the dependence Pressure/Viscosity coefficient D3.

It is practically always not filled (equal to 0).

Edit this value (around 1.5e-7), it can change all (I'm not sure that's a good idea 😞

Bye.

Signature: "Maybe Moldflow does not work properly, but the real world neither" my son...6 years old 😉

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

My main question is if moldflow fills manifold on first shot or not.

When i set moldflow according to second shot, i get short shot in real process

On the contrary when i set moldflow according to first shot, i got succesfull injection in real process.

Trials has been made with 5 drop mold.

first_shot.JPG

second_shot.JPG

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: madhukeshwart

@madhukeshwart 

Thanks, i used absolute ram speed profile.

Message 7 of 8
bernor_mf

Hi,

in Moldflow hot runners are initially filled with melt, so it hold melt from start of injection for simulation.

No first shot needed in simulation to fill modeled hot runner.

When using real process, make sure you set machine screw diameter in Moldflow.

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)
Message 8 of 8
madhukeshwart

@Anonymous

1. 1st shot, which fills manifold will not come in to picture at all..in moldlfow 

2. same in actual process, ,may 1st  2-5 components are being scraped till mold temperature stabilizes.

3. refer the following link, which surely help to match the process..

https://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/366/3554/2/MPI_match_mold_process_Aug07rev2.pdf

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report