Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing different mold temparatures without cooling circuits

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tolmacs
674 Views, 5 Replies

Managing different mold temparatures without cooling circuits

Dear Community,

Our prospective customer uses a not too conventional way to make this product:

part.JPG

Into this tool:

mold.JPG

The orange stuff in the middle is a cast iron valve housing. They inject PFA material into it using the blue mold blocks. The problem is that the sprue cavity's temperature differs from the side cavity's temperature during filling (290°C / 270°C). I'd like to use this temperature data in a Fill+Pack+Warp analysis, but I could only mesh the mold blocks using a Cool(FEM) analyis sequence. BUT there are no cooling channels here, they are using only airflow since there is no place for cooling channels (the holes inside the cavities are for heating cartriges) 

Here's a section view of the model for better understanding (sorry, but Fusion coloured the part and the left side cavity purple too):

mold section.JPG

So how can I use the different mold temperatures in this particular case (with no cooling channels?) Cool(FEM)+Fill+Pack+Warp sequence stops with solver error - missing the cooling channels. Will the Fill+Pack+Warp sequence consider these inputs? This would be vital, because the flow front temperature plot shows a very strange result which I can't really explain to the customer (it cools down more near the hot sprue - see picture below)

flow front.JPG

Thank you in advance for any help,

Zoltan

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
madhukeshwart
in reply to: tolmacs

Hi Zoltan,

1. In your case air cooling is used, so you cant simulate the same in mold flow.

2. If you do not have the Cool module, you can manually assign separate cavity-side and core-side mold temperatures to assess the effect these variations may have on the filling of the part.

For Dual Domain/3d models the cavity/core side assignment must be set to specify which mesh surface is in contact with the cavity side of the mold and which mesh surface is in contact with the core side of the mold. If this is not set, both surfaces will use the mold surface temperature in setting.

select those elements at interface / right click for properties, assign the mold temperature

Capture.JPG

refer below link

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/moldflow-insight/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016...

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 6

@tolmacs

Refer the following link too

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/moldflow-insight-forum/set-varying-mold-surface-temperature/td-p/6875...

Madhukeshwar Talwar

Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 4 of 6
tolmacs
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Dear Madhukeshwar,

Thank you for you answer. If I understand well, there is no need for the mold part geometries at all in this case. Is this rigt?

In my sudy, I selected the elements contacting with the Sprue Cavity (actually I selected the whole left side of the part) and set the Mold Surface temp to 290°C. The other elements on the part get the default 280°C (as set in the process settings):

290 side.JPG

The problem is that this has no noticable on the Temperature at flow front tab.

On the lower image the mold temp is 280°C everywhere, an on the the upper image 290°C mold temp is set at the designated area and 280°C elsewhere:

flow front with hotter sprue cavity side.JPG

This result is very strange to me, because even if I run the study with equal mold temp, the sprue side should be hotter because of the chunky sprue with a melt temperature of 370°C.

But as you can see the flow front temperature it is quite the opposite. Why is this happening???

The upper study was ran with 370°C melt temp. the lower with 375°C but that is clearly seen in the temperature legend bar too. But why is the spure side colder during flow?

After that I added +10°C to the elements at the sprue side, we should see a noticable difference between the flow front tabs, but I see nothing like that 😞

Zoltan

Message 5 of 6
madhukeshwart
in reply to: tolmacs

@tolmacs

1. it will not reflect in temperature at flow front, it will reflect at temperature plot.

2. Don't select whole part, select only surface elements, with select option -facing elements only, assign them in new layer- and then assign temperature

3. flow front temperature plot shows, temperature at center line across the thickness, not on surface of part.

4. The Temperature result shows the temperature of the polymer at nodes across thickness and varying with time.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

Message 6 of 6
tolmacs
in reply to: madhukeshwart

All right Sir,

Thank you for your detailed answer,

I did how you wrote, will see what effect if has on the spure side temperature.

Again, thank you for your support.

Zoltan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report