Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 304140 during Compression Molding

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
_JoThu_
505 Views, 2 Replies

Error 304140 during Compression Molding

Hello,

I am new to moldflow and don't have much expirience with it. So I am currently doing a compression Molding analysis with a thermoplastic material.

The modell consists of a part, a part insert and the initial charge. At the beginning I imported a CAD file (including all components) into one study. In order to get a 3D mesh, I meshed all three componets at the same time as a dual domain mesh and fixed the aspect ratio. When the mesh statistic is fine, I converted the mesh to 3D without any errors and assigned the following properties:

- part: compression element

- part insert (3D)

During the analysis I get some error messages that the volume of some part-elements is too small. Somewhere I read that mesh errors should only be treated in dual domain mesh, but not in 3D mesh.

So how can i improve my dual domain mesh, if the mesh statistic is fine?

Are there any indicators for this issue?

What else can I do against the small elements?

Furthermore I duplicated the study and removed the part insert. So the mesh is exactly the same but there is no error during the analysis. This is very strange because the small elements aren't even near the part insert. How is this possible?

I hope that I could describe the problem understandable and that you have some advice for me.

Best regards,

Jochen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ErikFoltz5821
in reply to: _JoThu_

Hello,

Not sure this is an answer, but I wondering what would happen if you meshed the parts independently in 3D and then combined them into a final study. I wonder if you didn't assign the elements correctly, if elements are being collapsed across the interface?

I'm suggesting that you perform the dual domain meshing in the same study, so you get a good match at the interfaces. Then create three studies to mesh each part independently.

Message 3 of 3
_JoThu_
in reply to: ErikFoltz5821

Thanks for your reply.

I meshed all components independently and imported all parts into one study before starting the analysis. Unfortunately the same error occured.

Due to ribs, the part thickness is between 2 mm and 35 mm regarding the compression direction, while the number of elements through the thickness is pretty much the same for the whole part.  For 3D meshing I chose at least 6 elements through the thickness.

Is there a possibility to reduce the number of elements in thin areas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report