Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moldlow design and OpenGL version

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
mincho_166
1673 Views, 18 Replies

Moldlow design and OpenGL version

Hi guys.

I recently installed the Autodesk product Moldflow Adviser and Design as I am currently working in a project related to plastic injection molds. Moldflow Adviser is working properly, however, I can not say the same for Moldflow Design. I have a computer with a dedicated video card of 6GB (VRAM) and as a result I have an OpenGL version 4.4. Nonetheless, it seems that Moldflow Design is not recognizing the OpenGL version, as I am constantly receiving the message "you need to upgrade to OpenGL 3.0 or higher, you have a fewer version", which is clearly not true.

Do you guys happen to have faced the same error message, and if so, how were you able to solve it?

Many thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
kristen.kilroy
in reply to: mincho_166

Hi @mincho_166

Welcome to the forums!! Smiley Happy

Since you mentioned that you have a dedicated video card of 6GB, is this the computer's integrated graphics (for example, Intel) or is it an added graphics card (for example, an NVIDIA or AMD card)? 

Sometimes an integrated card is used by default, which may occasionally cause issues depending on the specs/if it's updated to the latest Driver. One thing you can try is to go to the graphics card manufacturer's website to check the latest driver has been installed for that particular card.

A second suggestion would be, if Design is using the integrated card instead of the desired card, to manually switch Moldflow Design's graphics preference to the added graphics card. 

The following link on Lenovo's support website describes how you can check when a program is using the integrated graphics vs an added graphics card. It also instructs on how to change this manually if you would like to switch to the more advanced card. 

Hope this helps!! 

Kristen Kilroy

Hi @mincho_166

Any luck with updating and/or specifying the graphics card? 

Regards,

Kristen Kilroy

We also have this same issue with DFM on a workstation with 2 NVIDIA Quattro K4000 graphics cards.  All of our moldflow products (Synergy, Insight, Advisor, SimStudio, Communicator) work just fine.

We updated the graphics card drivers, and verified that we have OpenGL 4.0 on them and we still get this error.

It is frustrating that the lowest intensity moldflow product has an issue on the workstation yet everything else works just fine.

Tags (3)
Message 5 of 19
dudym

We identified an issue with the method we run when Design is loading that checks for OpenGL driver version.

We need to check that because we use some functionalities that only exist from OpenGL 3.3 onwards.

However, some video cards mis-report the version of their OpenGL drivers (reasons for it can vary).

The best we can do about it is to remove that test, as most drivers these days have all the relevant extensions.

Regards,

David Margalit

Moldflow SE

Message 6 of 19
coryli
in reply to: dudym

@dudym was a fixed ever pushed for this issue? I unfortunately get the OpenGL error message on multiple machines.

Message 7 of 19
mincho_166
in reply to: kristen.kilroy

Hi Kristen, and thank you for your answer.

First of all, I am sorry for the delay in the answer, I've been very busy with other projects Smiley Sad

Then, going back to the matter at hand, I have an added graphics card (ASUS STRIX GTX-1060). The card is fully updated and I have checked that it is selected by default (therefore, I am not using the integrated graphics of my CPU). I have checked the provided link, however I am still facing the same issue.

Any other possible solution?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Message 8 of 19
dudym

Hi @coryli @mincho_166 @andrewgeneralelectric @kristen.kilroy

I am happy to announce the fix to this issue (which was basically old version of a .NET OpenGL 3rd party layer) is now incorporated into our code and will be available in the Moldflow Design 2018.1 release (2 months from now).

We have tested this fix on different machines that had this issue reproduced on them, and they all seem to work fine now (without any message about OpenGL version).

Please note that it is still recommended to only run Moldflow Design on real machines (not VM), without Remote-Access from a different machine.

Regards,

David Margalit

Sr. Software Engineer

Simulation Moldflow, DLS Products

DIRECT +61 3 9751 8142

MAIN +61 3 9720 2088

Autodesk, Inc.

259-261 Colchester Road

Kilsyth South, Victoria 3137, Australia

www.autodesk.com

Message 9 of 19
coryli

@dudym Awesome! Thanks so much for the fix! Looking forward to using Moldflow again with CAD packages that don't have widget support.

Message 10 of 19
mattr0ss

Hello,

As reported by others in this thread, Moldflow Design 2018 has issues detecting the OpenGL version available, other applications in the package work fine. I have the 2018.1 update installed (ama_Update1-64bit.msp) but it has made no difference. Is this the update you are referring to?

I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti with a recent WHQL certified driver. GLView says this card supports OpenGL 4.4, but it also has an entry for 'GDI Generic (No Acceleration)' that says it support OpenGL 1.1. Presumably, it is defaulting to this 'device' (which is not a real device that appears in Device Manager) instead of the NVIDIA card. The control panel for the NVIDIA driver does not let me specify a default graphics card as suggested earlier. I've also tried adding a 3D settings profile for the "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Moldflow Design 2018\bin\S4DViewer.exe" executable, with full performance and other options turned to the highest setting.

Is there anything else I can do to force it to run?

Message 11 of 19
dudym
in reply to: mattr0ss

2018.1 was not released as an MSP. It's not a service pack, but a full installation of a brand new release. We don't do Service Packs anymore, but only UDB update releases (which is what that file is).

That file is the Adviser 2018 Update 1 MSP file.

This is not the Adviser 2018.1 revision (which is only available as a full install)

As I mentioned before: Moldflow Design 2018.1 does not have this problem anymore

Message 12 of 19
mattr0ss

Okay, thanks for the explanation. As I have installed a free educator network licensed version (for the University I work for) presumably this new release is not available? It's not listed in my Autodesk account, nor is this newer release on the available products list.

Message 13 of 19
dudym
in reply to: mattr0ss

I am sorry but I am the software developer. I don't deal with licenses and release schedules.

I suggest you contact your Autodesk customer service/sales-agent regarding to this.

Message 14 of 19
cfelt1

What about version 2017 R2? Do we have to upgrade to 2018.1 to fix the OpenGL 1.1.0 error? 

Message 15 of 19
dudym
in reply to: cfelt1

Yes

Message 16 of 19
pbarnet2

I'm having the same issue with MoldFlow Design 2018. Moldflow Advisor and Moldflow Communicator work just fine. I keep getting a message that "Version of OpenGL installed on this computer is 1.1.0. This product requires a graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.3 as a minimum...". I've got a 1050 Ti that supports OpenGL 4.5, so I'm not sure what's going on here. I've even made sure to run the program using the graphics card by right-clicking my shortcut and selecting the Nvidia card under "Run with graphics processor". 

Message 17 of 19
cfelt1
in reply to: pbarnet2

What I have learned is that you MUST upgrade Moldflow 2018 to 2018.1 full release or higher. I believe the latest version is 2018.2. I upgraded and it works fine. Once you upgrade, you first need to do a Windows Registry change to update the MFSYN_USER_HOME setting to a local folder. Otherwise, Moldflow will hang on startup. You may know this already.
[cid:image001.png@01D37455.B7236A30]
Message 18 of 19
dudym
in reply to: pbarnet2

Moldflow Design 2018 still has this issue.

As I mentioned earlier - the fix is from 2018.1 onwards

Message 19 of 19
pbarnet2

Thanks for the help guys! For those who have an education license, how were you able to upgrade to 2018.1 or 2018.2? It doesn't appear to be available to me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report