Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create spiral or conformal cooling channel for any round shape product ?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jay21min
2244 Views, 7 Replies

How to create spiral or conformal cooling channel for any round shape product ?

Assume that I have plastic bottle of drinking water and want to create cooling channel for it in a spiral shape just like spring shape, then can it be possible to create?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kristen.kilroy
in reply to: jay21min

Hi @jay21min

Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

We have the ability to model conformal cooling via 3D cooling channels (imported from CAD geometry) in Moldflow Insight/Synergy (see: AMI Online Help: Create 3D Channel Mesh), however with Moldflow Adviser, cooling geometry is limited to only beam elements. This results in it not being able to easily capture curved lines of a spiral cooling system, similar to what you are describing. 

In Adviser, cooling channels can be imported via *.iges curves from CAD geometry (see: AMA Online Help: Importing a Cooling System), however the same limitation occurs when doing this as described above.

I mocked up an example below showing why this becomes an issue. Notice in my example how an imported helical channel results in hundreds of slivers created from beam elements. Though the geometry looks represented, when attempting to analyze, this will either fail or continuously load (possibly freeze up) as Adviser tries reading all of those beam elements. 

Cooling coil.png

You can give it a try, however I would probably suggest to try squaring off the channel paths (maybe try hexagonal or octagonal shape instead) to help simplify the channels so it will load more easily.

Hope this helps!! Smiley Happy 

Kristen Kilroy

Hi Kristen,

I am facing the the same problem while running the simulation with imported runner. Is there no way to control the number of elements in beam?

Regards

Paul

Message 4 of 8
bernor_mf
in reply to: Sanjay_paul

Hi Paul,

I'll cut in here.

There is no way to control number of beams when importing a curve from iges to Adviser.

It uses a hardcoded choorda tolerance.

You need to split the curve in CAD.

Either the system has a neat function for this or...

you have to manually draw some lines in 3D sketch mode, with points on curve.

See attached pictures:

adviser import runner curve 2.JPG

The imported iges file as:

1) curve/spline

2) lines

Adviser import iges curve or line .JPG

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)
Message 5 of 8
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: bernor_mf

Hello Berndt,

Thanks a lot. Now I can run the simulation smoothly.

Regards

Paul

Message 6 of 8
jay21min

Hi,

Respected all,

I am glad to see all conversation among  you people.

I tried to create conformal cooling channel, but could not do.

I humbly request for  you to help.

I can't attach product for which we have to create conformal cooling channel, because the site is not accepting.

So,I send you all that file individually.

Take cooling channel diameter as 8 mm.

Center line distance between two cooling channel as 22 mm.

Distance between the outer surface of the product and cooling channel is 14.5 mm.

For more clarification of cooling channel see below figure.

The given figure is just for example.By mistake,in this example cooling channel and product is not matched properly.The front portion of product is left without cooling channel.So,don't do that kind of mistake. The cooling channel must cover the whole outer body of the product and match properly.

After creating cooling channel, please try to check that whether it is suitable for simulation of cooling time or not.

Screenshot (68).png

Looking ahead to hear from you.

Thanking you.

Message 7 of 8
bernor_mf

Hi,

to get the site to accept file to upload you need to compress to format like .zip , .rar which are valid extensions:

I think you could fix this in CAD system by draw point to point lines on spline for conformal cooling.

1) have the spline in CAD

2) draw point to point lines on spline, in a acceptable division for layout

3) delete spline

4) export lines to iges format

5) import lines as cooling channels to Adviser

Can you attach spline iges file?

I have asked for improvement on Moldfow Ideastation:

Adviser import runner or channel: Add Option to set division and/or chord height
Vote it up if you like it. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Berndt

Valid extensions:

3dp,3ds,ach,ai,art,ass,asx,avi,axm,bm,bmp,cfz,chm,cps,csv,dbf,dcl,doc,docx,dst,dwf,dwfx,dwg,dws,dwt,dxf,dyf,dyn,eco,env,eps,esri,f3d,f3z,fbx,fm,gif,gz,gzip,iam,ics,ide,idw,iks,ipn,ipt,jfif,jpe,jpeg,jpg,log,lsp,mac,max,mb,mp4,mpg,msg,nc,nc1,nwc,nwd,nwf,obj,obk,pat,pc3,pdf,pkt,png,png,ppt,pptx,prj,psd,rar,rfa,rft,rlf,rtd,rvt,sat,sdf,sdf,sdf2,sdf3,shp,shx,simstudio,sldasm,slddrw,sldprt,step,stl,stm,stp,svf,svg,text,tif,tiff,txt,vcf,vtf,vtfx,wmv,xls,xlsx,xml,xps,zip are the valid extensions.

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)
Message 8 of 8
jay21min
in reply to: kristen.kilroy

Respected, Mam.

Thank you so much for your effort of conformal cooling channel generation.

But, still I am facing that problem.

If you help me to create conformal cooling channel of hand torch, I would be very grateful to you.

I need you email address so that I can send object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report