Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages of CAD file format

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
bob.schlosser
573 Views, 3 Replies

Advantages of CAD file format

Moldflow design link can import various CAD file formats.  Is there an advantage to one file format over another?  Currently I export an stl file from creo at high resolution and then import it into Moldflow.  Do I gain anything by importing a different CAD format?

Bonus question:  What happened to the search box on the community forum main page? 

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mppkumar
in reply to: bob.schlosser

Hi @bob.schlosser

always prefer to import native CAD formats from CATIA / UG / Creo

this gives better mesh compared to other formats - stl / parasolid /iges / step

having higher accuracy of stl will increase more number of elements, which in turn increases your analysis time

refer the below link, which answers similar query

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/moldflow-adviser/troubleshooting/caas/discussion/t5/Moldflow-...

bonus answer

Capture.PNG

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"
Message 3 of 4

Hi Bob,

Another advantage of using native cad or STEP file is the ability to use the new auto mesh  option which provides a high quality mesh without too many elements.  You can also make use of the CAD Modification options to move features within Moldflow, if you start with a native cad or step file. 

Regards,

Tim

Tim VanAst

Moldflow Engineering/Technical Consultant
Message 4 of 4

Is this only availble in Insight?  I don't think this is possible in Adviser.

Also, in case anyone stumbles on this thread, their is no search box when viewing threads under the Simulation Community page.  This is available when viewing under the Discussion Forum.  Be aware that the two buttons take you to different portal pages when clicked under the Community tab in Moldflow Advisor.

Thanks for the discussion!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report