Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When building tree supports, flat tree geometry created inside object that comes outside

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rythomasQ8PHG
446 Views, 4 Replies

When building tree supports, flat tree geometry created inside object that comes outside

Hard to describe this, as the thread title shows 🙂 On some models when I generate tree supports then convert to solid, there is this extra flat geometry that is created and runs from inside to outside the model. It is reproduceable, some times I can find the source of the tree it came off of and delete it , other times I cannot. I tried messing with the Solid Min Offset setting but it still happens. I have attached a couple of pictures, the first shows the weird flat tree running. The second you can see it peeking out of the sides of the model . 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hfcandrew
in reply to: rythomasQ8PHG

99% of the time it's happening because of a flipped normal/non manifold mesh. 1% the time the MM algorithms just mess up. When in doubt, remesh.

Message 3 of 5
rythomasQ8PHG
in reply to: hfcandrew

I use the orientation to find the low overhangs before running the supports, and in this case it was flipped upside down. So you mean this happens because its been rotated? Is there a way to prevent this (other than not rotating the model)?

Message 4 of 5
hfcandrew
in reply to: rythomasQ8PHG

No not rotating the whole model. Non-manifold means mesh errors.

Flipped normals means one of the faces of a triangle or cluster of triangle is the wrong way.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MSHMXR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-7B6A26A2-1E8A-4352-99A5-6C4026D5B89D

The orientation tool rotates the object to a position that minimizes the total amount of overhangs, but this often results in an illogical orientation that is not the best. I'd rather just use $2 more in filament printing a few more supports.

Message 5 of 5
rythomasQ8PHG
in reply to: hfcandrew

Ok thank you for the information!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report