Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualization problem importing primitives.Pink-white Zebra-like Viewport. Shado

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
fundamental4
1796 Views, 21 Replies

Visualization problem importing primitives.Pink-white Zebra-like Viewport. Shado

Hi all,

I had the same problem many times and I couldn't find the problem in the forum. I need help please.
Please see 2 attached pictures.

When I'm importing some primitives to the scene it becomes with a big shadow, also the Viewport changes to pink and white zebra-like. 

How can I solve this problem?
How can it be avoided?

Thank you

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
MagWeb
in reply to: fundamental4

The pink pattern highlights backfaces of a mesh normally. No idea why this is happening on the ViewCube.

I had this issue here too, running a bad mmApi script yesterday. But that happened one time only and I can't reconstruct what I did to get this.

Can you provide a precise, step by step workflow of how to reproduce this issue or - if it happens on certain meshes only - a sample mesh?

Did you already try to disable ShowViewCube via Preferences?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 22
fundamental4
in reply to: MagWeb

thank you for the answer MagWeb,

it happens frequently (not always), when it happens it is always when importing primitives. It doesn't matter the stl imported to MM.
I reinstalled the MM few times, also happened with previous version and current version yesterday.

When I'm using MM I cross my fingers thinking in this issue.

I didn't know about the possibility of disabling ShowViewCube via Preferences, I'll try it.

I found in forum that pink desings is a problem with normals, but here is the viewcube and also the scene is with a big shadow (as you saw in the picture) that I can move a bit. Even if I scroll in opposite directions a long time, nothing happens.

In addition, I will not be working today, but if I had the same problem tomorrow or next week I'll try to send you a screencast video.

BTW, I'm new with MM, just a few weeks.

Message 4 of 22
MagWeb

Where the STLs made in some special third party app?

Does the issue happen importing a OBJ format too?

Do the default objects from the splash screen(bunny, sphere, plane) work properly?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 22
fundamental4

Working with obj files.
Last OBJ came from Meshroom software.
Primitives I use, always basic shapes, circle, cone, plane...
Message 6 of 22
fundamental4

Hi Magweb,

attached a 2 min. video showing the problem.

Tech:
GeForce gtx 1060
W10
MeshMixer:   Version 3.5.474

the appearance of the objects in the scene are very different than the videos and tutorials I'm trying to follow in youtube....

I can't Transform the objects.

Message 7 of 22
fundamental4

Hi Magweb,

attached a video showing the problem.
Tech:
GeForce gtx 1060
W10
MeshMixer:   Version 3.5.474

the appearance of the objects in the scene are very different than the videos and tutorials I'm trying to follow in youtube....

I can't Transform the objects.

Message 8 of 22
MagWeb

I see... Did you already try to update the graphics card drivers?

Again such an issue on a NVIDIA Geforce.

Might be related to textured meshes?

Is something written to the application log? (> menu:Help)

The first rendering issue that makes me wonder is that the dropped cylinder appears orange on the object. It should be white also before you accept MESHMIX.

Does that happen with not textured meshes (e.g. the default bunny) as well?

The object's density isn't that big. But what's the size of the texture image (pixels x pixels)? Are there several texture images?

You may try to use a different shader: Drag another sphere from SHADERS (try the one next to the plus) onto the textured object. MM will keep the texture but will not render it.

Next thing to try is some testing:

- Before you import: Rename the texture image file from something.jpg (maybe a different format) to somethingX.jpg . 

Loading this to MM the application can't find the texture image but keeps the mesh's UVs and replaces the missing image by a plain red. Does the upper issue happen on this import too?

Another test:

- Before you import: Rename the MTL file from something.mtl  to somethingX.mtl .

Loading this to MM the application can't find the MTL. Now MM ignores the mesh's UVs and loads only the geometry. Does the upper issue happen on this import too?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 9 of 22
fundamental4

thank you for your quick answer Magweb.

I updated the graphics drivers. 
I issued the Application log (after the NVIDIA update). (many errors)

With bunny the error is the same as cilinder.

I changed the Shaders and it looks fine, but I don't really know what I should look for (I'm new).

I changed the names. I don't understand why you talk about JPG file, and texture image, an also MTL file. I haven't used them files.

My final goal is to modify the shape of this Z-shape object. I thought I could flatten some surfaces selecting them and then some tool like "Flatten". And MM would adjust all the selected faces to a flat surfaces. The only tool I've seen is Plane Cut, but this is usefull for the base of the object, but very tedious if theres are several flat areas to be fixed. I've seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxTBTMJvUxw (Meshmixer attract tool demo). I will try later.

Message 10 of 22
fundamental4

a new strange behaviour (first time seen).

objects are hidden and brush (selector) is green.

VIDEO ATTACHED

also Printer Name is red.

Message 11 of 22
fundamental4

Hello Webmag,

here is the video, I forgot to hit "Insert" button.

I did a new test today. I only used MM primitives, without external files, just importing to the scene bunny, sphere, cube... and the result is the same. Black scene, objects missing to work with them...

Message 12 of 22
fundamental4

Hello Magweb,

Do I have to leave this problem as impossible to solve?

Message 13 of 22
fundamental4

I COULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM (I think...).

Just in case someone had the same problem...

I did several steps, but I don't know what was the relevant one:

- I downloaded and updated graphics drivers (again).

- I uninstalled MM. (using Windows uninstall program tool)

- Windows browser: Double check that MM was uninstalled. Some folders/files remained in C:.

- I followed MM FAQ 3.3. http://www.meshmixer.com/faq.html . Follow Question 2:  delete meshmixer.ini file  (note: as I had uninstalled MM I thought .ini file wouldn't be there, but it was).
- I downloaded and installed MM latest version (3.5).
- I double check Question 3 (at MM FAQs) about recently installed meshmixer.ini file. (about Datacollecting and Updates). 

Then I open MM and I started using just primitives (bunny, sphere...) it worked fine. Then I imported some .OBJ and it also worked fine.

Message 14 of 22
MagWeb

Hey, great you could find a fix! Seems I was on the wrong track...

Would be interesting to  look at that (maybe) faulty .ini file. Did you keep it? Maybe it's still in the trash or in a backup ?

Could you post it?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 15 of 22
fundamental4

Of course I would do it! but I'm not able of attaching the .ini file. I tried changing the extension, but I can't and I don't know why, and how to do it.

any help?

Message 16 of 22
MagWeb

Did you try to zip it? Think that's the simplest solution.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 17 of 22
fundamental4

Of course I do!

Attached. 

I'm not sure you were in the wrong track... you gave me some tips in order to help me to do some trials and fix the problem. 

I was initially thinking about a faulty file (obj) but according to your advices I tested just with MM Primitives, so this test eliminated a problem with the file. Update GPU and MM settings remained to do.

I remember I had this problem with my previous laptop, and I left MM as impossible. (old: HP workstation and new MSI gaming laptop).

Now I have well installed MM, I have many sugestions to do, unless they are already implemented.

Thank you for your help MagWeb 

Message 18 of 22
fundamental4

Of course I do!

Attached. 

I'm not sure you were in the wrong track... you gave me some tips in order to help me to do some trials and fix the problem. 

I was initially thinking about a faulty file (obj) but according to your advices I tested just with MM Primitives, so this test eliminated a problem with the file. Update GPU and MM settings remained to do.

I remember I had this problem with my previous laptop, and I left MM as impossible. (old: HP workstation and new MSI gaming laptop).

Now I have well installed MM, I have many sugestions to do, unless they are already implemented.

Thank you for your help MagWeb 

Message 19 of 22
MagWeb

I thought these rendering issues might be related to a textured mesh.

Now: With your meshmixer.ini posted above I get the very same strange rendering (flipped cube a.s.o) being on a different OS ( macOS).

Think it's easy to find the faulty value now.

Did you do some editing of the .ini before or were these settings written by MM automatically?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 20 of 22
fundamental4

No, I didn't change .ini file (I'm new with this software). 

The only lines I changed were according to Question 3 at FAQs 3.3. (related to updates...)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report