Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thicken shell Outwards and remove original volume for 3D printing

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
akashg9GYKQ
1022 Views, 1 Reply

Thicken shell Outwards and remove original volume for 3D printing

Hello All,

I need to thicken a surface outward by 3mm for 3D printing and remove the original volume so that I'm left with a 3mm thick shell that is hollow on the inside. I've attached my meshmixer file here and I've already divided the geometry into facegroups. I need to thicken the purple facegroup (see attached image) outward by 3mm and then subtract the original volume. I've tried offset and extrude but I've faced two problems. First, after offset/extrude, the geometry appears to be only surfaces when I look at a section view in Paraview, even though Meshmixer says it's solid in the Object Browser. Second, how can I subtract the original volume so that I'm left with a 3mm thick shell that's hollow on the inside? Is there a better way to do this?

Thank You!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MagWeb
in reply to: akashg9GYKQ

The easiest way is to select the purple group, then hit I to invert the selection to select the cross section surfaces. Hit X to discard them.

Now select the purple group again and run Edit/Offset. Make sure that Connected is checked and set Distance to 3mm.

That should do the job.

A mesh representation is always a surface only. It may be watertight to include a certain "empty" volume (like an air balloon). You may consider the included volume as "solid" (and that's what a 3D printer will do).

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums