Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support generation problem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
morpheus1978
688 Views, 3 Replies

Support generation problem

Hello how are you? I ask you for help, maybe you can guide me on how to get a good support configuration for a model that I am trying to print and I can not get the "branches" generated in certain parts of the model, I attach an image of the model in question

Thanks1

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: morpheus1978

Could you post a screenshot of your object in Overhangs to see the settings you're using currently?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
morpheus1978
in reply to: MagWeb

Hi magweb, i reinstall the meshmixer and now the eistein model support is fine, but now im trying with another object and is missing support on the head of this model, i attach the screenshot with the settings

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: morpheus1978

Are you sure that you want to build supports at an AngleThresh of 50°? All above 45° should be printed without bigger issues. Standards are from 25° up to 45° (depending on your printer and the used filament of course).

MM's support generation does a collision detection: Do regions of a support intersect the object? If there's some not allowed intersection (forced by the set parameters) MM ignores such supports. In most cases this is due to the shape of the tips. If these cones' height isn't big enough the posts might collide with the surface. I use a TipHeight (> AdvancedSupport) of at least the PostDiameter. 

Here's a good introduction by RMS explaining the different parameters at YouTube.

There's a non documented render mode in Overhangs which allows to visualise the control points MM uses to compute the supports without generating the supports: In Overhangs hit "D". (Note, that this rendering might NOT update on the fly if you change a related parameter. A good trick to get an updated view is to enable/disable AllowTopConnections)

You'll find red, green and (if AllowTopConnections is checked) blue spheres:

Red are the contact points object/tips. Their density depends on the set Density.

Green are available points at the base plane. They are in some distance to the object. This gap is needed for (and depends on) the BaseDiameter. Also the density of the green spheres depends on the set BaseDiameter.

Blue are available points at the topside to build surface to surface connections.

Each of the red, green and blue spheres comes with a smaller cyan child. This small sphere marks the beginning/end of the cylinders building the posts. They are connected to their parent sphere by a magenta line (might be not visible if the corresponding parameter is too small).

The distance between a green pairing increases as you increase BaseHeight.

The distance between a red(or blue) pairing increases as you increase TipHeight.

Ohne Titel.jpeg

This is a quick check for enough possible contacts.

Now, if there's a red contact point doesn't mean that MM can actually use it. The set tip height might force intersections. The tip might be too short as well as too long:

Tip too longTip too longTip too shortTip too shortOne needs to find a working middle for the auto generation. If this result misses some areas one might also add some posts manually using a different diameter or tip height.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report