Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL cut only on plane

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sanderdb01U85VP
1074 Views, 5 Replies

STL cut only on plane

I am trying to place cut some relatively complex stl files. However, after I perform the plane cut and then go to seperate shells, It also separates small details on the model as well. Is there a way to keep the model as one piece, and only separate along the plane? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: sanderdb01U85VP

Against doing EDIT/SeparateShells you may use SELECT/Edit/Separate. This converts all selected surfaces to a single separated object.

So go to SELECT, click somewhere on the background near to the cut you did before to start the ScreenSpaceLasso mode and draw a line near to the cut. Expand that selection to connected surfaces (either by shortcut E or via Modify/ExpantToConnected)

Now hit Y to separate that selection or run Edit/Separate on this selection.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 6
sanderdb01U85VP
in reply to: MagWeb

This is almost exactly what I need. The problem with this however is that after I split it via your advice, my halves are now both hollow. Any idea on how to make it solid?

Message 4 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: sanderdb01U85VP

If you do EDIT/PlaneCut with CutType "Slice(KeepBoth)" and FillType "RemeshedFill" before the workflow above, it should give the expected result. Don't forget to expand the selection to connected surfaces (via hotkey "E" or via Modify/ExpandToConnected) before separating.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 6
rfarmar
in reply to: MagWeb

I need help with this as now only one half has fill and the other half is completely hollow.

Message 6 of 6
hfcandrew
in reply to: rfarmar

There are different settings in the plane cut tool. Try several different combinations until you get the result you want.

Read here: https://help.autodesk.com/view/MSHMXR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-C36CDABA-05F7-44B0-9529-C33D9E435220

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums