Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth Boundary rounds sharp corners

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3611 Views, 2 Replies

Smooth Boundary rounds sharp corners

Is there a way to prevent Smooth Boundary rounding sharp edges? I know this is common behavior, as noted in the help file, but I'm trying to figure out if there is fix for this, or a workaround I can try. Screenshot attached of a typical condition. I'm slicing objects that have some nice sharp corners, but S.B. puts a dimple along that crease. 

If I remesh there with more tris, it still rounds them.

smoothboundarycorners.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

You can preserve sharp edges using temporary slim face groups.

To create a group at a sharp edge set a higher CreaseAngleThresh (prevents selection on the other side of the edge) and select a region at one side of the edge (bigger than the BorderRings value you want to use in SmoothBoundary. Convert the selection to a group (Modify/CreateFaceGroup). Now doing SmoothBoundary with PreserveGroupBorders on a different selection, where the selection border crosses the edge through the group, the edge stays as it is.

lower edge saved by a grouplower edge saved by a group

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you, this works great!

(wish list: Would be nice if smooth boundary had a sharp edge threshold slider built in)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report