Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scaling a planter & scaling thickness differently

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
393 Views, 2 Replies

Scaling a planter & scaling thickness differently

Sorry for the noob question, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what tools exist & how to use them.

I want to scale up this planter model by 2.5x but I only want the thickness of the walls to be 1.5x as thick. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Much appreciation ๐Ÿ™

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

You can scale up by a factor using EDIT/Transform. Make sure UniformScaling is checked and set the factor in ScaleX(orY orZ) by clicking on the current value (1 by default).

This scales the wall thickness as well.

To get a different thickness ( fear this will result in gap between the outer and inner part) you would need to discard the interior surfaces and reconstruct it using SELECT>Edit>Offset. 

Note: this model comes with a minimal number of long stretched triangles. You would need to SELECT/Edit/Remesh first to give it more density....

Think its much easier to rebuild that model with a different thickness from scratch with a BRep based application (like Fusion360)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks for pointing me at select > Edit > Offset..., that appears to be approximately the right tool. But I guess the real answer is "rebuild this in Fusion 360."  Which is fine but now I have to learn how to use that tool as well. But ultimately I think that's what I want to know so a worthwhile investment.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report