Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset to plate after a plane cut

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
lamports
620 Views, 9 Replies

Reset to plate after a plane cut

I'm trying to cut a part into 3 pieces using the plane cut then reset the top piece so it is back on the plate so I can make a third cut.

The part is a model boat hull, that I need to cut into 3 parts to fit in the printer. The first problem is when I import the hull I have to rotate it 90' so the stern is on the plate. After I do that it doesn't look like it's on the plate. How do I make sure it actually is?

Then when I do the first cut, I need to have the bottom of the top piece re-positioned back on the plate. I can move the part around but I'm not sure if it's really on the plate.

I'm obviously new to Meshmixer and have been able to figure some of this out on my own but can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks

John

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
MagWeb
in reply to: lamports

Seems you're looking for EDIT/Align.

If you set WorldOrigin/Y-up as Destination and SurfacePoint as Source and click somewhere on the plane you got from PlaneCut (you need to click on the transparent state) > MM will align the plane to the grid.

More info about Align 

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 10
lamports
in reply to: MagWeb

That did it, just what I wanted. You can only learn so much from YouTube videos and the Meshmixer manual only gives some of the basics. I did go into most of the edit functions but there are so many options it was hard to figure out.

I have one more question, if you don't mind. How do I get the view to be realigned with the plate level and straight? If I pan or rotate the view say 45' if I click the recenter view it does recenter it but it's still at the angle. I've tried the "C" hotkey but that doesn't seem to do anything so I assume I'm not doing it right. As in Solidworks I can press the spacebar and the cube pops up, I can then click on whichever face I want and it turns the part to that face. Is there a similar function.

Thank you so much for your help

John

Message 4 of 10
MagWeb

In MM 3.5 there's the ViewCube in the upper righthand corner. Clicking the cube's faces or edges the view snaps to default views.

Another helpful thing is to enable snapping of the cam via the Hotbox (hold down Space key to show it). The first toggle button is Snap. If it's dark snapping of the cam is enabled. (Note: Enabling Free (the next button) overrides snapping). Now navigating the scene the cam snaps to main axes as you come near to one.

"C" only sets the cam orbit's pivot to the next surface under the mouse cursor.

For a better handshake with Z-up applications (MM as other apps uses Y as up direction) you may enable FlipZ-Y On Import/Export in the Import dialog or via Preferences/File tab. That set you will no longer have to rotate the object coming from a Z-up app after import.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 10
lamports

Once again thank you so much, very helpful. I don't remember seeing the cube but I'm sure it was there and I was to focused on the other stuff to notice. 

I have been able to move and set the cut pieces back on the plate. I've also been reviewing the link you sent me with the explanations of all the functions. I have lots to learn but that's part of the fun. I'll probably have more questions, that I'll post as a separate topic and hope to hear from you.

Thanks again

John

Message 6 of 10
MagWeb

No problem: Try (that's learning) your own way. 

If you'll get stuck: Call!

You might have disabled ViewCube rendering via: Preferences > General tap /View section (or running an outdated MM version).

You should see this at the right hand -top corner of MMYou should see this at the right hand -top corner of MM

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 10
lamports

Gunter

Sorry to bother you again but I've just gotten back to this today, too many projects going at once but I still don't see the viewcube and I don't have it in my preferences as you mentioned. I went on the forum and looked in the help section. Nothing in the forum and the help said it would be in the users panel, my users panel doesn't look like the one shown. 

I just downloaded Meshmixer a few weeks ago so I assume it's the current version, it's version 3.3.15

Thanks

John

Message 8 of 10
MagWeb

Current version is 3.5.474

You're running a 3.3 built without the ViewCube. Maybe you hit the wrong download button.

There are two versions (3.3 and 3.5) available at MM's download page. Download and install 3.5.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 9 of 10
lamports

That's what I was thinking, I must have downloaded Meshmixer light or something. I'll do that later when I get home from work.

Thanks again

John

Message 10 of 10
lamports

Now I remember why I have 3.3 and not 3.5, it crashes when I try to open it. I had originally installed 3.5 and had this problem. When I double click on the desktop icon I get a message that a software problem has occurred and meshmixer needs to shutdown. I can send a report, which I did the last time and this time, but never heard back. So I installed 3.3. today I got the same thing. I first uninstalled 3.3 then installed 3.5. What's interesting though is after I send the report it it opens a web page that says Autodesk 3.3.

So not not what the problem is, or what to do about it.

Thanks

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report