Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing Split Mesh with High Curvature

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
abutkus
349 Views, 2 Replies

Repairing Split Mesh with High Curvature

I have obtained a 3D laser scanned .stl mesh file for a propeller I would like to model. The upper and lower surfaces of the prop were scanned very nicely, however the leading and trailing edges are completely absent from the scan. Thus, I have a single mesh which is essentially split into two surfaces except where the blade root attaches to the hub. I need to join these surfaces together. The fill holes command, and sculpt tools have failed so far. I also tried converting the mesh to a solid, which totally ruined the geometry. Is this a lost cause? Should I do another scan? 

The blade is about 8 inches in diameter and wing thickness is on the order of a few millimeters at most. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: abutkus

Some image would help to give decent advice.

If there are two non intersecting, non solid surfaces (with a gab between) to weld there are two open boundaries. You might try SELECT/Edit/Join. This needs a selection where the selections includes two open boundaries to join.

As an alternative you might use SELECT/Edit/Bridge to  define a connection between the two boundaries. This way you'll get a single hole. ANALYSIS/Inspector will close that hole.

@ Join see: Join at Helpdesk

@Bridge see: Bridge at Helpdesk 

Basically MakeSolid results depend much the set SolidAccuracy and MeshDensity. But if there are gaps higher parameters will not be  that much of a help....

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
abutkus
in reply to: MagWeb

I would upload the file directly but it is way too large to post here. Anyway, I did find a workaround. Basically, I took cross sectional slices of the mesh using "Create Mesh Section". I did this in intervals along the wing depending on the curvature of the blade. Following this, for each section I fit a closed spline to the cross section. I then linked these cross sections together with another spline on the leading and trailing edge of the wing. Finally, I create a loft using the cross sections as templates with the leading and trailing edge splines as guide rails. I might post a quick tutorial as this method worked really well and did not take much time. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report