Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reorienting xyz axis

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
fingrayson
2644 Views, 3 Replies

Reorienting xyz axis

Hi,

I am new to Meshmixer and needing some help with a problem. Please excuse my lack of vocabulary around this problem. I am still learning the terms. I am trying to resize some wall tiles to fit my needs but the orientation for the xyz axis is on diagonal (see the first screenshot) rather than a square (see the second screenshot). Is there a way to make the first object behave like the second object? I am wanting to make the wall thinner.

Here is the source file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1450949

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: fingrayson

If you run EDIT/Transform: In the upper right of its manipulation widget are two circles a L and a W. These are toggles to switch between two different coordinate spaces . The green circle is the active one.

If W is active the arrows always point to the standard axes of the scene's World.

If L is active the arrows always point along the orientation the object had when you imported it to the scene. So it travels along with rotations. That's the Local coordinate space.

To solve your issue:

Run EDIT/Transform and rotate the wall (should be 45°). Now switch to the World frame and scale it in the needed direction.

Note: In MM there's no decent tool to "reset" the Local frame to a  current orientation. If you want such a reset you need to Ex/Import the object or do other tricks (as Combine and split with another object)

More detailed info about Transform

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
fingrayson
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you so much!

Is there a tutorial series you would recommend for beginners?

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: fingrayson

Good old question about tutorials:

Some time ago RMS (who invented MM) found time to post some vids:

Some maybe not that up to date: YouTube Chanel MM

There's a Meshmixer playlist from 123D times: Meshmixer101

MakersMuse did some nice vids on MM:

MakersMuse at YouTube

Nick Kloski did a very detailed (paid) course at 

Honeypoint3d

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report