Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce: results in concentric, seemingly arbitrary approximations

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jamesbeckett73
262 Views, 3 Replies

Reduce: results in concentric, seemingly arbitrary approximations

Hi there, 

Had this for a while now. When trying to reduce triangle count, I find there is a threshold after which the reduction results in concentric, arbitrary approximations, really ruining the integrity of the model. I also am unable to have good control over slider on the reduce function, as when sliding, a calculation is made before even releasing the slider.

Thanks for any help in advance,,

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: jamesbeckett73

Besides SELECT/Edit/Reduce there's also a way to reduce triangle count via SELECT/Edit/Remesh setting a negative Density or ,in case of TargetEdgeLength, a bigger EdgeLength (linear subdivision mode can't work of course). Results are different to Reduce.

Note: GenerateFaceGroups (with meaningful Angle - and SizeThreshold) helps to keep the shape in Remesh and Reduce if you enable PreserveGroupBorders (in case of Reduce: PreserveGroupBoundaries).

Yep, dragging sliders in MM isn't a good idea when it comes to bigger operations. In most tools sliders are designed to update the viewer in real time. So do a single click on the slider where you want the new value to be or, even better, click on the displayed value and edit that value via numerical input (this allows to set values above/below the slider range in many cases)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
jamesbeckett73
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks as always @MagWeb!

I'll try all your suggestions, perhaps best with smaller triangle count models. I am just finding Remesh and Reduce % calculations to be very quasi. They don't really translate into the count they mention. Ie: If I do a 33% negative value in Remesh, it takes a 300,000 count down to only 280,000. With Reduce it is similar, and also irregular when it comes to % points.

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: jamesbeckett73

In Reduce (all restrictions disabled) Percentage is related to the number of vertices. It shows the percentage to be subtracted from the current vertex count ( e.g. 25% reduction of 10000 results in 7500). Doesn't it roughly? 

In Remesh (Relative or Adaptive) Density percentage is related to the change of an average edge length of the selected faces (not to some vertex- or poly count). That's not that meaningful and Adaptive changes the sizes based on details to keep.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report