Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem flat fill

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Sdealex
588 Views, 2 Replies

Problem flat fill

Hello Meshmixer forum,

My name is Alex and I am having problems converting getting a nice flat fill on my new car model. I have previously recieved help from the user MagWeb in a similar topic "Problem converting surface to solid". I used the same method (see below), only this time the fill became very bad.

I did manage to fix the problem with the bad infill by sculpting the body and then running it through Fusion 360. This did work, however, the shape of the car model changed and the outcome was not all that great.

Is there any way to get a nice and flat infill?

Check the message I recieved and my Grabcad for files below!

Greatest regards,

Alex

"First thing is to flip the object's surface (it comes inside out): SelectAll (via Ctrl+A, Cmd+A on Mac) and do Edit/FlipNormals.

Still all selected run Edit/Remesh at RemeshMode=RelativeDensity and BoundaryMode=RefinedBoundary. this fixes non-manifold issues at the big bottom open boundary and the one at the front of the car.

Now run ANALYSIS/Inspector. Click the spheres pointing to the "interior" open boundaries (all but the bottom one).

To get a nice fill for the bottom: Go to SELECT, switch on Symmetry (to select two corresponding regions in one go) and select a region at the boundary. Run Edit/Bridge and pull down its Refine value to zero to get a straight bridge. Do this to get some guides for the infill surface.

Finally run Inspector to close all remaining open boundaries."

Link to my GrabCad: https://grabcad.com/library/the-new-improoved-car-1

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: Sdealex

The problem is that Inspector can't generate a flat surface if the open boundary isn't flat.

So you might do it with a further step:

When you fill the holes in Inspector do not do AutoRepairAll but fill the holes one by one clicking the marker spheres. This gives a face group for each infill which makes it easy to select.

Now go to SELECT and double click such a group to select it. On this selection run Edit/Extrude. Set EndType to Flat and adjust the Offset value.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
Sdealex
in reply to: Sdealex

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums