Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining Inside of Stl File

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
arjunverma
864 Views, 6 Replies

Obtaining Inside of Stl File

Hi all, I have a 3d stl file of a human heart. The musculature is solid and the blood volume is empty. I'd like to 3d print the shape of the blood volume. any thoughts on how to do this with meshmixer (preferable) or other free softwares I can download. The file is attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MagWeb
in reply to: arjunverma

This DICOM result comes with many connections between the exterior and interior surface. These connections happen on the "ends" of the veins (which is correct) but also due to errors while meshing.

Basic workflow:

You need to break ALL those connections so you'll get the interior and exterior as non connected surfaces. After that you can EDIT/Separate both surfaces as separate objects. Now you need to SelectAll of the interior object, do Edit/FlipNormals and fix the holes using ANALYSIS/Inspector.

Best way to get rid of the exterior surface is to sample different SelectVisibles:

Go to SELECT. 

Select some "seed" selection. Which selection doesn't matter - just to get access to selection based tools.

Navigate to a view where you do not see the interior surface through the outlet of the veins and run Modify/SelectVisible.  Now navigate to a different view (again where you don't see the interior) and with Shift pressed do Modify/SelectVisible again. This adds the new aspect to the previous selection. Repeat until you got the exterior selected. 

When you selected most of the exterior without selecting the interior you might use the selection brush to add missed surfaces manually (or deselect while pressing CTRL (Cmd on Mac)).

Now hit Y to separate the exterior and hide it via ObjectBrowser's eye icon (against deleting the surface this gives the chance to transfer regions back if you didn't select properly)

With the interior object being active hit Ctrl+A (Cmd+A on Mac) to SelectAll and run Edit/FlipNormals.

Now fix the holes via ANALYSIS/Inspector:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

This result is attached below.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 7
hfcandrew
in reply to: MagWeb

I did sort of the same thing but used about dozen or so times of generating face groups to delete chunks at a time, then finished the rest at each artery opening by hand. See attached for a hollow version created using offset.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 12.59.08 PM.png

Message 4 of 7
arjunverma
in reply to: hfcandrew

i tried both of these methods and they worked! thank you both very much!

Message 5 of 7
mraihawi
in reply to: arjunverma

Message 6 of 7
mraihawi
in reply to: MagWeb

Hey, which Software did you used, that your Segmentation empty from inside, because when i cut the heart in Meshmixer i can see the reality edges for the ventricle and the atrium
Message 7 of 7
MagWeb
in reply to: mraihawi

Only Meshmixer was used. And the workflows explained above should work just fine.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report